Re: Successful ViM 6.2 w/Python 2.3 support under Panther

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 3, 2003
      On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 10:07:45AM -0500, Matthew Stott wrote:
      > Hello all, I have been conversing with Benji about this and I've now
      > done it twice under Panther. Not all of my steps may be required. I am
      > not a ViM developer so I am not sure why many have trouble with this.
      >
      > Systems:
      [snip]
      > Both systems were cleanly installed with Panther. i.e. no archive
      > install nor upgrade.
      [snip]

      > Good Luck, hopefully someone can figure out the problems that folks
      > have experienced. I did not have a problem but then again, I started
      > out clean with Panther when I noticed many developers having upgrade
      > problems. I am a SysAdmin not a programmer, I dabble in development
      > but I am by no means an expert and I have just as many troubles with
      > OSX linking as others...

      Judging from the warning message I get from the linker, I suspect
      that my problem is related to the fact that I upgraded from X.ii to
      X.iii instead of doing a clean install. Someone else suggested that I
      use update_prebind, but (so far) that has not helped either.

      If anyone hears of a solution to the problems with upgraded
      systems, please let me know!

      I am about ready to ask that someone who has been successful with
      Panther + Python send me a binary with as many features as possible so
      that I can fiddle with the runtime files a little and upload it to
      macvim.swdev.org . Speaking of which, I spent some time today improving
      the site. Mostly, the changes will be invisible to most people but make
      it easier to maintain the site, but I did also post Muraoka Taro's patch
      for adding the 'transparency' option.

      > I don't know about Ruby nor Perl, but suspect they both need to have
      > some updates performed as Apple didn't include everything and is
      > probably missing some headers, etc.

      I think that there are problems using vim with a threaded version
      of Perl. If you look at the output of configure, you will see (unless
      this is another peculiarity of my system) that it detects a threaded
      version of Perl and refuses to work with it. I do not know about Ruby.

      --Benji Fisher
    • Bram Moolenaar
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 23, 2003
        Matthew Stott wrote:

        > Hello all, I have been conversing with Benji about this and I've now
        > done it twice under Panther. Not all of my steps may be required. I am
        > not a ViM developer so I am not sure why many have trouble with this.

        [...]

        Thanks for the explanation and listing the steps. I'll assume that
        Benji somehow merges this into his explanations.

        I don't have the released 10.3, only a test version. Not sure if I want
        to spend 150 euro on 10.3, I might wait for 10.4...

        Otherwise, I might do some testing myself with 10.2 and 10.3 beta when I
        have time. If there are patches that I should include, send them to me
        the coming weeks.

        --
        From "know your smileys":
        *<|:-) Santa Claus (Ho Ho Ho)

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 23, 2003
          On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 10:54:00AM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

          > Matthew Stott wrote:
          >
          > > Hello all, I have been conversing with Benji about this and I've now
          > > done it twice under Panther. Not all of my steps may be required. I am
          > > not a ViM developer so I am not sure why many have trouble with this.
          >
          > [...]
          >
          > Thanks for the explanation and listing the steps. I'll assume that
          > Benji somehow merges this into his explanations.

          I am sorry to disappoint you, but I have not been able to reproduce
          a successful compile of vim with python support. Judging by the error
          messages from the linker, and some suggestions I have seen, I think the
          problem is that I upgraded to X.iii instead of doing a clean install.
          Now, the linker complains about un-pre-bound libraries for Python 2.2 or
          some such, even though the only Python on my system is now the 2.3
          installed with Panther.

          --Benji Fisher

          > I don't have the released 10.3, only a test version. Not sure if I want
          > to spend 150 euro on 10.3, I might wait for 10.4...
          >
          > Otherwise, I might do some testing myself with 10.2 and 10.3 beta when I
          > have time. If there are patches that I should include, send them to me
          > the coming weeks.
        • Bram Moolenaar
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 23, 2003
            Benji Fisher wrote:

            > On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 10:54:00AM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
            > >
            > > Matthew Stott wrote:
            > >
            > > > Hello all, I have been conversing with Benji about this and I've now
            > > > done it twice under Panther. Not all of my steps may be required. I am
            > > > not a ViM developer so I am not sure why many have trouble with this.
            > >
            > > [...]
            > >
            > > Thanks for the explanation and listing the steps. I'll assume that
            > > Benji somehow merges this into his explanations.
            >
            > I am sorry to disappoint you, but I have not been able to reproduce
            > a successful compile of vim with python support. Judging by the error
            > messages from the linker, and some suggestions I have seen, I think the
            > problem is that I upgraded to X.iii instead of doing a clean install.
            > Now, the linker complains about un-pre-bound libraries for Python 2.2 or
            > some such, even though the only Python on my system is now the 2.3
            > installed with Panther.

            For the time being, perhaps you can list the instructions that Matthew
            wrote, or add a link to his messsage.

            I have no idea how to solve your problem, you might have to run some
            utility to "pre-bind" your libraries...?

            --
            From "know your smileys":
            *<|:-) Santa Claus (Ho Ho Ho)

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 23, 2003
              On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 05:43:16PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

              > Benji Fisher wrote:

              > > > [...]
              > > >
              > > > Thanks for the explanation and listing the steps. I'll assume that
              > > > Benji somehow merges this into his explanations.
              > >
              > > I am sorry to disappoint you, but I have not been able to reproduce
              > > a successful compile of vim with python support. Judging by the error
              > > messages from the linker, and some suggestions I have seen, I think the
              > > problem is that I upgraded to X.iii instead of doing a clean install.
              > > Now, the linker complains about un-pre-bound libraries for Python 2.2 or
              > > some such, even though the only Python on my system is now the 2.3
              > > installed with Panther.
              >
              > For the time being, perhaps you can list the instructions that Matthew
              > wrote, or add a link to his messsage.
              >
              > I have no idea how to solve your problem, you might have to run some
              > utility to "pre-bind" your libraries...?

              I tried that, with no luck. I will add Matthew's instructions, but
              probably not until I get back from visiting my mother. (I leave
              tomorrow, and there is a lot to do before I can go.)

              --Benji Fisher
            • Matthew Stott
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 23, 2003
                On Dec 23, 2003, at 1:10 PM, Benji Fisher wrote:

                > ***SNIP***
                >>> I am sorry to disappoint you, but I have not been able to
                >>> reproduce
                >>> a successful compile of vim with python support. Judging by the
                >>> error
                >>> messages from the linker, and some suggestions I have seen, I think
                >>> the
                >>> problem is that I upgraded to X.iii instead of doing a clean install.
                >>> Now, the linker complains about un-pre-bound libraries for Python
                >>> 2.2 or
                >>> some such, even though the only Python on my system is now the 2.3
                >>> installed with Panther.
                >>
                >> For the time being, perhaps you can list the instructions that Matthew
                >> wrote, or add a link to his messsage.
                >>
                >> I have no idea how to solve your problem, you might have to run some
                >> utility to "pre-bind" your libraries...?
                >
                > I tried that, with no luck. I will add Matthew's instructions,
                > but
                > probably not until I get back from visiting my mother. (I leave
                > tomorrow, and there is a lot to do before I can go.)
                >
                > --Benji Fisher

                I will see if I can duplicate Benji's problem. I've got a second Mac so
                I will wipe it, load Jaguar 10.ii and then update the system to 10.iii
                duplicate the upgrade problem so I can identify and troubleshoot the
                problem.

                Have a good family visit, Benji! You deserve a good vacation!