not working correctly: WARNING: terminal is not fully functional

  • Ivan
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 14, 2011
      When pressing <K> on keyword, in terminal vim it will produce the man
      page correctly.
      However, in MacVim, it generates a warning:

      WARNING: terminal is not fully functional

      The ANSI control sequence is then display and not correctly escaped.
      A screenshot can be found here:

      http://d.pr/E5T1

      Help needed, thanks!

    • Tony Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 15, 2011
        On Apr 15, 4:49 am, Ivan <ive...@...> wrote:
        > When pressing <K> on keyword, in terminal vim it will produce the man
        > page correctly.
        > However, in MacVim, it generates a warning:
        >
        > WARNING: terminal is not fully functional
        >
        > The ANSI control sequence is then display and not correctly escaped.
        > A screenshot can be found here:
        >
        > http://d.pr/E5T1
        >
        > Help needed, thanks!

        This is not specific to MacVim, I get it also on Linux in gvim: it
        happens because the "terminal" (or pseudo-terminal) in which Vim runs
        any shell command is a "dumb" terminal, which, like a teletypewriter,
        can go forward but not backward. Any curses-based program (such as
        less, used normally by man to display its output) which expects to use
        the terminal as a TV (moving about in any direction) rather than as a
        teletypewriter, may get problems.

        I'll try to forward your question and this reply to the vim_use group.

        Best regards,
        Tony.
        --
        Faith, n:
        That quality which enables us to believe what we know to be