E255: Couldn't read in sign data!

  • Andrew Long
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 14, 2011
      I had this some time back when I was trying to load .xpm files as signs; the problem went away when I converted the .xpm files to .pngs, but it's been back for a while now, and It's getting annoying.

      I'm running snapshoy 57 on an Imac, with OSX 10.6.7

      Regards, Andy

      --
      Andrew Long
      andrew dot long at mac dot com
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 15, 2011
        On 15 April 2011 00:45, Andrew Long wrote:
        > I had this some time back when I was trying to load .xpm files as signs; the problem went away when I converted the .xpm files to .pngs, but it's been back for a while now, and It's getting annoying.

        I'm not sure if this is a question or ...? All I can say is that png
        and bmp are the only supported file format for signs.

      • Andrew Long

        • Eric Weir
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 16, 2011
            Can anyone here point me to directions for installing Vim Outliner on a Mac? The only instructions I've been able to find are for linux and I don't trust myself to try to adapt them.

            Thanks,
            Eric Weir
            Decatur, GA USA
            eeweir@...

          • Eric Weir

              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 16, 2011
                On Apr 16, 2011, at 11:52 AM, Eric Weir wrote:

                > Can anyone here point me to directions for installing Vim Outliner on a Mac? The only instructions I've been able to find are for linux and I don't trust myself to try to adapt them.

                Download this file:

                https://github.com/downloads/vimoutliner/vimoutliner/vimoutliner-0.3.5.vba

                Open it with MacVim and type this command:

                :so %

                That's it, VO should be ready to use. If you want to use the scripts that come with VO you need to do some work from the terminal, let me know if you want to dive into the command line.

                Israel

              • Eric Weir
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 16, 2011
                  On Apr 16, 2011, at 2:24 PM, Israel Chauca F. wrote:

                  >> Can anyone here point me to directions for installing Vim Outliner on a Mac? The only instructions I've been able to find are for linux and I don't trust myself to try to adapt them.
                  >
                  > Download this file:
                  >
                  > https://github.com/downloads/vimoutliner/vimoutliner/vimoutliner-0.3.5.vba
                  >
                  > Open it with MacVim and type this command:
                  >
                  > :so %
                  >
                  > That's it, VO should be ready to use. If you want to use the scripts that come with VO you need to do some work from the terminal, let me know if you want to dive into the command line.

                  Thanks, Israel.

                  I'm a newbie to Vim. How do I open that file? :e vimoutliner-0.3.5.vba?

                  While I'm at it, I understand there's a package -- maybe it's a plugin itself -- that is used to manage plugins, e.g., with everything pertaining to each one being kept in it's own folder, making it easier to upgrade, etc. [As you can tell, I'm a bit vague about this.] I think VO will be my first plugin -- I don't know if MacVim comes with any already installed -- should I get set up with that, whatever it is, before installing VO?

                  Thanks,
                  Eric Weir
                  Decatur, GA USA
                  eeweir@...

                • Eric Weir
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 16, 2011
                    On Apr 16, 2011, at 3:16 PM, Eric Weir wrote:

                    > On Apr 16, 2011, at 2:24 PM, Israel Chauca F. wrote:
                    >
                    >>> Can anyone here point me to directions for installing Vim Outliner on a Mac? The only instructions I've been able to find are for linux and I don't trust myself to try to adapt them.
                    >>
                    >> Download this file:
                    >>
                    >> https://github.com/downloads/vimoutliner/vimoutliner/vimoutliner-0.3.5.vba
                    >>
                    >> Open it with MacVim and type this command:
                    >
                    > I'm a newbie to Vim. How do I open that file? :e vimoutliner-0.3.5.vba?

                    That appears to have worked.

                    I'll see what I can do with it relying on the documentation I've tracked down, and then maybe I'll find I do want some help with scripts, as well as the plugin manager.

                    Thanks,
                    Eric Weir
                    Decatur, GA USA
                    eeweir@...

                  • Israel Chauca F.
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 16, 2011
                      On Apr 16, 2011, at 2:16 PM, Eric Weir wrote:

                      > On Apr 16, 2011, at 2:24 PM, Israel Chauca F. wrote:
                      >
                      >>> Can anyone here point me to directions for installing Vim Outliner on a Mac? The only instructions I've been able to find are for linux and I don't trust myself to try to adapt them.
                      >>
                      >> Download this file:
                      >>
                      >> https://github.com/downloads/vimoutliner/vimoutliner/vimoutliner-0.3.5.vba
                      >>
                      >> Open it with MacVim and type this command:
                      >>
                      >> :so %
                      >>
                      >> That's it, VO should be ready to use. If you want to use the scripts that come with VO you need to do some work from the terminal, let me know if you want to dive into the command line.
                      >
                      > Thanks, Israel.
                      >
                      > I'm a newbie to Vim. How do I open that file?

                      You should first set your ~/.vimrc file and ~/.vim folder up before anything else. Here[1] is a vimrc example, read the comments on every line to see if you want them in your vimrc.

                      > :e vimoutliner-0.3.5.vba?

                      Yes. Other way is to drop the file into MacVim's icon. Or use the "File>Open..." menu from MacVim.

                      > While I'm at it, I understand there's a package -- maybe it's a plugin itself -- that is used to manage plugins, e.g., with everything pertaining to each one being kept in it's own folder, making it easier to upgrade, etc. [As you can tell, I'm a bit vague about this.] I think VO will be my first plugin -- I don't know if MacVim comes with any already installed -- should I get set up with that, whatever it is, before installing VO?

                      The plugin is called pathogen[2] and you should install it before anything else, it's really helpful. The instructions are inside the script.

                      In order to use VO with pathogen you need to install it with other command. Open the VO archive and use the following command:

                      :UseVimBall ~/.vim/bundle/vimoutliner

                      That should install VO on its own directory under the control of pathogen.

                      Israel

                      [1] https://github.com/dahu/LearnVim/blob/master/doc/learnvim.txt#L384
                      [2] http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=2332

                    • Eric Weir
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 16, 2011
                        On Apr 16, 2011, at 3:33 PM, Israel Chauca F. wrote:

                        > You should first set your ~/.vimrc file and ~/.vim folder up before anything else. Here[1] is a vimrc example, read the comments on every line to see if you want them in your vimrc.

                        When I installed MacVim it set up the ~/.vim folder for me. And I have a .vimrc in my home folder, a pretty simple one at this point.

                        >> While I'm at it, I understand there's a package -- maybe it's a plugin itself -- that is used to manage plugins, e.g., with everything pertaining to each one being kept in it's own folder, making it easier to upgrade, etc. [As you can tell, I'm a bit vague about this.] I think VO will be my first plugin -- I don't know if MacVim comes with any already installed -- should I get set up with that, whatever it is, before installing VO?
                        >
                        > The plugin is called pathogen[2] and you should install it before anything else, it's really helpful. The instructions are inside the script.
                        >
                        > In order to use VO with pathogen you need to install it with other command. Open the VO archive and use the following command:
                        >
                        > :UseVimBall ~/.vim/bundle/vimoutliner
                        >
                        > That should install VO on its own directory under the control of pathogen.

                        I went ahead and installed VO before I got this response. To install pathogen "before anything else" should I uninstall VO and then reinstall it after I've installed pathogen? If so, can I do that by just deleting ~/.vim? Are there any files anywhere else that should be deleted?

                        And as I understand you, once pathogen is installed I execute ":UseVimBall ~/.vim/bundle/vimoutliner"in Vim?

                        Finally, I tried to read the VO readme the tags weren't working for me. Then scrolling through it I discovered that for tags in VO files to work I have run a script, vo-maketags.pl. How do I run a script. [As I say, I'm a newbie -- and headed to Borders when I get off here to see if I can get one of the Vim books!]

                        Thanks,
                        Eric Weir
                        Decatur, GA USA
                        eeweir@...

                      • Eric Weir
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 18, 2011
                          On Apr 16, 2011, at 3:33 PM, Israel Chauca F. wrote:

                          > In order to use VO with pathogen you need to install it with other command. Open the VO archive and use the following command:
                          >
                          > :UseVimBall ~/.vim/bundle/vimoutliner
                          >
                          > That should install VO on its own directory under the control of pathogen.

                          I figured out how to do this, but it took a lot of trail and error. Didn't know what "open the VO archive" meant. Didn't know whether the command should be run in Vim or the Terminal. Didn't know what directory I should be in when I executed the command. Ultimately I figured out that I should do ":e" on the archive file. First time I tired the "UseVimball" command I got a long string of messages telling me that folders couldn't be created. I had assumed from the above that the command with path would create the "vimoutliner" folder. When I guessed that it needed to be created before executing the command I was home free.

                          For the moment, anyway. I'm sure there will be more walls down the road. Indeed, I identified one in my previous response: "running a script." I've discover that to make tags work in the vo_readme I need to "run the vo-maketags.pl script". How do I "run a script."

                          Again, do I do it from Vim or Terminal? Do I need to be in a particular directory? I've scouted the documentation for help. It seems to be assumed to be known.

                          Eric Weir
                          Decatur, GA USA
                          eeweir@...

                        • Eric Weir
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 18, 2011
                            On Apr 18, 2011, at 5:51 PM, Eric Weir wrote:

                            > For the moment, anyway. I'm sure there will be more walls down the road. Indeed, I identified one in my previous response: "running a script." I've discover that to make tags work in the vo_readme I need to "run the vo-maketags.pl script". How do I "run a script."

                            Problem solved: I discovered a Vim command in the vo-readme -- :helptags -- that seems to have done the job.

                            Eric Weir
                            Decatur, GA USA
                            eeweir@...