Re: Backtick doesn't work in MacVim but works in terminal vim (E78: Unknown mark)

  • Israel Chauca F.
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 13, 2011
      On Apr 13, 2011, at 10:19 AM, Martin Lundberg wrote:

      > Hi Björn!
      >
      > Thanks, changing "Draw marked text inline" did fix it for consonants but I'm
      > still having problems with vowels which can become à, ì, etc. I guess this
      > is what switching keyboard layout would help. How would I do this switching
      > of layouts in vim? I read macvim-international and noimd but I don't
      > understand what to do or how to do it.

      I type a space: `<space>a

      > Also, when changing to a us layout won't the characters change places
      > forcing me to learn a whole new layout only to go to marks?
      >
      > Right now it sounds a lot better to just to do: map ' ` and use ' to jump to
      > marks since I usually want to go to the mark and not to the first non-blank
      > char of the marked line.
      >
      > -Martin
      >
      > --

    • Martin Lundberg
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 13, 2011
        That did work now when I tried but it didn't before. It changed when I remove  "Draw marked text inline". So I guess this actually works now even though I would prefer not hitting space.

        Thanks Israel!

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 13, 2011
          > I guess this
          > is what switching keyboard layout would help. How would I do this switching
          > of layouts in vim? I read macvim-international and noimd but I don't
          > understand what to do or how to do it.

          I don't think I can explain in any other way than I just did in my
          clearer.

          > Also, when changing to a us layout won't the characters change places
          > forcing me to learn a whole new layout only to go to marks?
          > Right now it sounds a lot better to just to do: map ' ` and use ' to jump to
          > marks since I usually want to go to the mark and not to the first non-blank
          > char of the marked line.

          Sorry, if you are not used to the US layout this is pointless. In my
          case when I started learning Vim I switched to a US layout since
          everything makes more sense in Vim this way. However, when I am
          typing in Swedish I still want to use a Swedish layout in insert mode
          without having to manually change it all the time. In this situation
          'noimd' is extremely helpful.

        • Martin Lundberg
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 13, 2011
            On Wednesday, April 13, 2011 5:37:26 PM UTC+2, björn wrote:
            > I guess this
            > is what switching keyboard layout would help. How would I do this switching
            > of layouts in vim? I read macvim-international and noimd but I don't
            > understand what to do or how to do it.

            I don't think I can explain in any other way than I just did in my

            clearer.
            Since I won't be switching to a US layout we can forget this for now and you won't have to put anymore time into it. :)

            > Also, when changing to a us layout won't the characters change places
            > forcing me to learn a whole new layout only to go to marks?
            > Right now it sounds a lot better to just to do: map ' ` and use ' to jump to
            > marks since I usually want to go to the mark and not to the first non-blank
            > char of the marked line.

            Sorry, if you are not used to the US layout this is pointless.  In my
            case when I started learning Vim I switched to a US layout since
            everything makes more sense in Vim this way.  However, when I am
            typing in Swedish I still want to use a Swedish layout in insert mode
            without having to manually change it all the time.  In this situation
            'noimd' is extremely helpful.

            Björn

            I won't be doing that anytime soon but switching the "Draw marked text inline" off has actually fixed my problems.

            Thanks all for the help!