Unicode files

  • Nickolay Kolev
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2003
      Hi all,

      I have posted this on the main list and Benji Fisher suggested I move
      it here as it is Mac specific.

      How on Earth am I to write Unicode files under Panther? When I set up
      my Terminal to use Unicode (UTF-8) encoding I cannot enter German
      characters (ä, ö, ü). Even if we ignore that, when I create a file in
      vim (either the default one or the one I built from source) it saves
      the file as ASCII or NON-ISO ASCII, depending on whether I used special
      characters in the file or not. This also holds true to Vim.app.

      I have read this (http://vim.sourceforge.net/tips/tip.php?tip_id=246)
      and use this
      (http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/script.php?script_id=789) and still
      the same. The built-in Vim admits it does not have multibyte (according
      to the set_utf8.vim script) and iconv (according to `vim --version |
      grep iconv`) support.

      The one I built I specifically configured --eith-multibyte and
      --with-iconv, and still the situation is the same no matter if I use it
      in the terminal or as a standalone application.

      Reading Unicode files created with TextEdit using German characters is
      also impossible (the special characters look messed up).

      Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

      Many thanks in advance,
      Nicky