Re: Backtick doesn't work in MacVim but works in terminal vim (E78: Unknown mark)

  • Martin Lundberg
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 13, 2011
      Hi Björn!

      Thanks, changing "Draw marked text inline" did fix it for consonants but I'm still having problems with vowels which can become à, ì, etc. I guess this is what switching keyboard layout would help. How would I do this switching of layouts in vim? I read macvim-international and noimd but I don't understand what to do or how to do it.

      Also, when changing to a us layout won't the characters change places forcing me to learn a whole new layout only to go to marks?

      Right now it sounds a lot better to just to do: map ' ` and use ' to jump to marks since I usually want to go to the mark and not to the first non-blank char of the marked line.

      -Martin

    • Israel Chauca F.
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 13, 2011
        On Apr 13, 2011, at 10:19 AM, Martin Lundberg wrote:

        > Hi Björn!
        >
        > Thanks, changing "Draw marked text inline" did fix it for consonants but I'm
        > still having problems with vowels which can become à, ì, etc. I guess this
        > is what switching keyboard layout would help. How would I do this switching
        > of layouts in vim? I read macvim-international and noimd but I don't
        > understand what to do or how to do it.

        I type a space: `<space>a

        > Also, when changing to a us layout won't the characters change places
        > forcing me to learn a whole new layout only to go to marks?
        >
        > Right now it sounds a lot better to just to do: map ' ` and use ' to jump to
        > marks since I usually want to go to the mark and not to the first non-blank
        > char of the marked line.
        >
        > -Martin
        >
        > --

      • Martin Lundberg
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 13, 2011
          That did work now when I tried but it didn't before. It changed when I remove  "Draw marked text inline". So I guess this actually works now even though I would prefer not hitting space.

          Thanks Israel!

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 13, 2011
            > I guess this
            > is what switching keyboard layout would help. How would I do this switching
            > of layouts in vim? I read macvim-international and noimd but I don't
            > understand what to do or how to do it.

            I don't think I can explain in any other way than I just did in my
            clearer.

            > Also, when changing to a us layout won't the characters change places
            > forcing me to learn a whole new layout only to go to marks?
            > Right now it sounds a lot better to just to do: map ' ` and use ' to jump to
            > marks since I usually want to go to the mark and not to the first non-blank
            > char of the marked line.

            Sorry, if you are not used to the US layout this is pointless. In my
            case when I started learning Vim I switched to a US layout since
            everything makes more sense in Vim this way. However, when I am
            typing in Swedish I still want to use a Swedish layout in insert mode
            without having to manually change it all the time. In this situation
            'noimd' is extremely helpful.

          • Martin Lundberg
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 13, 2011
              On Wednesday, April 13, 2011 5:37:26 PM UTC+2, björn wrote:
              > I guess this
              > is what switching keyboard layout would help. How would I do this switching
              > of layouts in vim? I read macvim-international and noimd but I don't
              > understand what to do or how to do it.

              I don't think I can explain in any other way than I just did in my

              clearer.
              Since I won't be switching to a US layout we can forget this for now and you won't have to put anymore time into it. :)

              > Also, when changing to a us layout won't the characters change places
              > forcing me to learn a whole new layout only to go to marks?
              > Right now it sounds a lot better to just to do: map ' ` and use ' to jump to
              > marks since I usually want to go to the mark and not to the first non-blank
              > char of the marked line.

              Sorry, if you are not used to the US layout this is pointless.  In my
              case when I started learning Vim I switched to a US layout since
              everything makes more sense in Vim this way.  However, when I am
              typing in Swedish I still want to use a Swedish layout in insert mode
              without having to manually change it all the time.  In this situation
              'noimd' is extremely helpful.

              Björn

              I won't be doing that anytime soon but switching the "Draw marked text inline" off has actually fixed my problems.

              Thanks all for the help!