Re: Backtick doesn't work in MacVim but works in terminal vim (E78: Unknown mark)

  • Björn Winckler
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 13, 2011
      On Wednesday, April 13, 2011 at 16:28 , Martin Lundberg wrote:
      Hi,

      > I've been having a discussion about the subject in vim_use here: https://groups.google.com/d/topic/vim_use/q3YmNgWwUYM/discussion
      >
      > To make sure it was not a plugin problem I started both normal vim, vim which comes with macvim and macvim with this:
      >
      > vim -u NONE -U NONE -N
      >
      > And it worked great in both terminal vim but failed in macvim.

      Go into Preferences -> Advanced and make sure "Draw marked text inline" is _not_ selected.

      Let me know if that does not solve your problem.

      By the way, there is a way to have MacVim automatically switch keyboard layout in insert mode and keep a US (or similar) layout in normal mode (which would also resolve your issue). This is what I do personally if I e.g. have to type Swedish text. Simply switch to US layout in normal mode, type ":set noimd", enter insert mode and switch to Swedish layout. The next time you exit insert mode MacVim will switch back to US (and then back to Swedish when you enter insert mode again). See ":h macvim-international" for more info.

    • Martin Lundberg
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 13, 2011
        Hi Björn!

        Thanks, changing "Draw marked text inline" did fix it for consonants but I'm still having problems with vowels which can become à, ì, etc. I guess this is what switching keyboard layout would help. How would I do this switching of layouts in vim? I read macvim-international and noimd but I don't understand what to do or how to do it.

        Also, when changing to a us layout won't the characters change places forcing me to learn a whole new layout only to go to marks?

        Right now it sounds a lot better to just to do: map ' ` and use ' to jump to marks since I usually want to go to the mark and not to the first non-blank char of the marked line.

        -Martin

      • Israel Chauca F.
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 13, 2011
          On Apr 13, 2011, at 10:19 AM, Martin Lundberg wrote:

          > Hi Björn!
          >
          > Thanks, changing "Draw marked text inline" did fix it for consonants but I'm
          > still having problems with vowels which can become à, ì, etc. I guess this
          > is what switching keyboard layout would help. How would I do this switching
          > of layouts in vim? I read macvim-international and noimd but I don't
          > understand what to do or how to do it.

          I type a space: `<space>a

          > Also, when changing to a us layout won't the characters change places
          > forcing me to learn a whole new layout only to go to marks?
          >
          > Right now it sounds a lot better to just to do: map ' ` and use ' to jump to
          > marks since I usually want to go to the mark and not to the first non-blank
          > char of the marked line.
          >
          > -Martin
          >
          > --

        • Martin Lundberg
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 13, 2011
            That did work now when I tried but it didn't before. It changed when I remove  "Draw marked text inline". So I guess this actually works now even though I would prefer not hitting space.

            Thanks Israel!

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 13, 2011
              > I guess this
              > is what switching keyboard layout would help. How would I do this switching
              > of layouts in vim? I read macvim-international and noimd but I don't
              > understand what to do or how to do it.

              I don't think I can explain in any other way than I just did in my
              clearer.

              > Also, when changing to a us layout won't the characters change places
              > forcing me to learn a whole new layout only to go to marks?
              > Right now it sounds a lot better to just to do: map ' ` and use ' to jump to
              > marks since I usually want to go to the mark and not to the first non-blank
              > char of the marked line.

              Sorry, if you are not used to the US layout this is pointless. In my
              case when I started learning Vim I switched to a US layout since
              everything makes more sense in Vim this way. However, when I am
              typing in Swedish I still want to use a Swedish layout in insert mode
              without having to manually change it all the time. In this situation
              'noimd' is extremely helpful.

            • Martin Lundberg
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 13, 2011
                On Wednesday, April 13, 2011 5:37:26 PM UTC+2, björn wrote:
                > I guess this
                > is what switching keyboard layout would help. How would I do this switching
                > of layouts in vim? I read macvim-international and noimd but I don't
                > understand what to do or how to do it.

                I don't think I can explain in any other way than I just did in my

                clearer.
                Since I won't be switching to a US layout we can forget this for now and you won't have to put anymore time into it. :)

                > Also, when changing to a us layout won't the characters change places
                > forcing me to learn a whole new layout only to go to marks?
                > Right now it sounds a lot better to just to do: map ' ` and use ' to jump to
                > marks since I usually want to go to the mark and not to the first non-blank
                > char of the marked line.

                Sorry, if you are not used to the US layout this is pointless.  In my
                case when I started learning Vim I switched to a US layout since
                everything makes more sense in Vim this way.  However, when I am
                typing in Swedish I still want to use a Swedish layout in insert mode
                without having to manually change it all the time.  In this situation
                'noimd' is extremely helpful.

                Björn

                I won't be doing that anytime soon but switching the "Draw marked text inline" off has actually fixed my problems.

                Thanks all for the help!