Re: "File open" dialog filter?

  • Björn Winckler
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 11, 2011
      On Monday, April 11, 2011 at 14:36 , Mark McCullagh wrote:
      Hi, I was wondering if there's a way for the file-open dialog in
      > MacVim to gray out inappropriate files, e.g. *.pdf files.
      >
      > Thanks in advance... (I googled and searched for this but no luck yet)

      The dialog itself is handled by Cocoa and as far as I know there is no general way to filter files in the GUI itself.

      Looking at the API there is a way to "set allowed file types" which may result in "disallowed" file types in being grayed out, but I have to have a look. Vim itself seems to use the variables g:browsefilter and b:browsefilter to set which files to filter but currently MacVim ignores this.

      To conclude; no, there is no way to filter files at the moment but it looks like it might be possible to implement this. I'll put it on my todo list.

    • Mark McCullagh
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 11, 2011
        Dear Björn,

        Thanks very much for this information. That would be a wonderful
        feature. No more "editing" a PDF after a mouse-slip!

        Mark

        On Apr 11, 9:17 am, Björn Winckler <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:
        > On Monday, April 11, 2011 at 14:36 , Mark McCullagh wrote:
        >
        > Hi, I was wondering if there's a way for the file-open dialog in> MacVim to gray out inappropriate files, e.g. *.pdf files.
        >
        > > Thanks in advance... (I googled and searched for this but no luck yet)
        >
        > The dialog itself is handled by Cocoa and as far as I know there is no general way to filter files in the GUI itself.
        >
        > Looking at the API there is a way to "set allowed file types" which may result in "disallowed" file types in being grayed out, but I have to have a look. Vim itself seems to use the variables g:browsefilter and b:browsefilter to set which files to filter but currently MacVim ignores this.
        >
        > To conclude; no, there is no way to filter files at the moment but it looks like it might be possible to implement this. I'll put it on my todo list.
        >
        > Björn

      • Ben Schmidt
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 11, 2011
          Please do ensure it is optional. I regularly edit PDF files in MacVim!

          Ben.

          On 12/04/11 2:33 AM, Mark McCullagh wrote:
          > Dear Björn,
          >
          > Thanks very much for this information. That would be a wonderful
          > feature. No more "editing" a PDF after a mouse-slip!
          >
          > Mark
          >
          > On Apr 11, 9:17 am, Björn Winckler<bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:
          >> On Monday, April 11, 2011 at 14:36 , Mark McCullagh wrote:
          >>
          >> Hi, I was wondering if there's a way for the file-open dialog in> MacVim to gray out inappropriate files, e.g. *.pdf files.
          >>
          >>> Thanks in advance... (I googled and searched for this but no luck yet)
          >>
          >> The dialog itself is handled by Cocoa and as far as I know there is no general way to filter files in the GUI itself.
          >>
          >> Looking at the API there is a way to "set allowed file types" which may result in "disallowed" file types in being grayed out, but I have to have a look. Vim itself seems to use the variables g:browsefilter and b:browsefilter to set which files to filter but currently MacVim ignores this.
          >>
          >> To conclude; no, there is no way to filter files at the moment but it looks like it might be possible to implement this. I'll put it on my todo list.
          >>
          >> Björn

        • John Beckett
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 11, 2011
            Ben Schmidt wrote:
            >> To conclude; no, there is no way to filter files at the
            >> moment but it looks like it might be possible to implement
            >> this. I'll put it on my todo list.
            >
            > Please do ensure it is optional. I regularly edit PDF files in
            > MacVim!

            I haven't tried it, but for anyone interested, this tip uses a
            utility to present pdf files in text form when read:
            http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Open_PDF_files

            John

          • Janusz Bossy
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 12, 2011
              On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 6:33 PM, Mark McCullagh
              <mark.mccullagh@...> wrote:
              > Thanks very much for this information.  That would be a wonderful
              > feature.  No more "editing" a PDF after a mouse-slip!

              Hi Mark,

              why don't you use :e to open new files in MacVim? You can't make a
              mouse-slip this way :)

              Janusz

            • Sylvain Soliman
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 12, 2011

                * Janusz Bossy <janusz.bossy@...>:
                > why don't you use :e to open new files in MacVim? You can't make a
                > mouse-slip this way :)

                And if :e is too 'raw' for your needs, Command-T[1] or NerdTree[2] are
                excellent (keyboard-based) file exploration plugins...

                Sylvain

                [1]: https://github.com/wincent/Command-T
                [2]: https://github.com/scrooloose/nerdtree
                --
                Sylvain Soliman <Sylvain.Soliman@...> GnuPG Public Key: 0x0F53AF99
                Page personnelle http://contraintes.inria.fr/~soliman/
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 12, 2011
                  On Apr 12, 2011 at 03:21 PM +1000, Ben Schmidt wrote:
                  >Please do ensure it is optional. I regularly edit PDF files in MacVim!

                  If it's anything like the option found in other Mac programs, only
                  editable by MacVim programs will be selectable unless you toggle the
                  button. Then you'll be able to select anything.

                  Should be the best of both worlds. I've only written Cocoa a little
                  bit, but if I recall, it shouldn't be all the much work either. I could
                  be totally wrong though :)