Re: Blurred background

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2, 2011
      On 1 April 2011 19:29, Tom wrote:
      > Is it more or less easy to add an option to blur the transparent
      > background like in OS X native (Dock Stacks) and other Cocoa (iTerm)
      > aps?
      > It would more fit to the 10.6+ GUI.

      I don't know how this is done. If its not a major addition I'd accept
      a patch however, in case anybody feels like implementing this.

    • Ben Schmidt
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 2, 2011
        On 2/04/11 7:07 PM, björn wrote:
        > On 1 April 2011 19:29, Tom wrote:
        >> Is it more or less easy to add an option to blur the transparent
        >> background like in OS X native (Dock Stacks) and other Cocoa (iTerm)
        >> aps?
        >> It would more fit to the 10.6+ GUI.
        >
        > I don't know how this is done. If its not a major addition I'd accept
        > a patch however, in case anybody feels like implementing this.

        I don't know what this blurring is exactly, but on the surface I don't like the
        idea. If I make my window transparent, it's because I'm trying to look at
        something behind it, and having it blurred would be tremendously unhelpful.

        Ben.

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 2, 2011
          On 2 April 2011 11:49, Ben Schmidt wrote:
          > On 2/04/11 7:07 PM, björn wrote:
          >>
          >> On 1 April 2011 19:29, Tom wrote:
          >>>
          >>> Is it more or less easy to add an option to blur the transparent
          >>> background like in OS X native (Dock Stacks) and other Cocoa (iTerm)
          >>> aps?
          >>> It would more fit to the 10.6+ GUI.
          >>
          >> I don't know how this is done.  If its not a major addition I'd accept
          >> a patch however, in case anybody feels like implementing this.
          >
          > I don't know what this blurring is exactly, but on the surface I don't like
          > the idea. If I make my window transparent, it's because I'm trying to look
          > at something behind it, and having it blurred would be tremendously
          > unhelpful.

          Maybe I should have been clearer: I don't think replacing the current
          transparency with a blurred background would be a good idea because I
          am guessing most people would agree with Ben on this issue (myself
          included). (To be honest, I'm not a big fan of transparent
          backgrounds as it is, although I do have "au FocusLost * set
          transp=10" and "au FocusGained * set transp=0" in my gvimrc.)

          However, if somebody wants to write a patch which optionally enables
          such a feature and if sufficiently many people want the patch merged
          and finally if it is a "simple" patch, then I will consider merging
          it.

          In my mind this type of feature is a little bit too much in the
          direction of the suggestion of being able to set a background picture,
          so its not exactly on the top of my most wanted additions. (I'm of
          course open to arguments to convince me otherwise.)

        • Jjgod Jiang
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 2, 2011

            On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 12:44 PM, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:
            >>> I don't know how this is done.  If its not a major addition I'd accept
            >>> a patch however, in case anybody feels like implementing this.

            With a private Apple API it's actually quite simple, you can apply any
            Core Image filter to a CGWindow, see:

            http://winjade.net/board/index.php?showtopic=8984&pid=116022

            Blurminal used this technic:

            https://github.com/ciaran/Blurminal/blob/master/Blurminal.m

            - Jiang

          • Christopher Stone
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 2, 2011
              On Apr 02, 2011, at 04:49, Ben Schmidt wrote:
              > I don't know what this blurring is exactly, but on the surface I don't like the idea. If I make my window transparent, it's because I'm trying to look at something behind it, and having it blurred would be tremendously unhelpful.

              Other than in very specific instances I utterly hate object transparency.

              --
              Best Regards,
              Chris