Blurred background

  • Tom
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2011
      Is it more or less easy to add an option to blur the transparent
      background like in OS X native (Dock Stacks) and other Cocoa (iTerm)
      aps?
      It would more fit to the 10.6+ GUI.

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 2, 2011
        On 1 April 2011 19:29, Tom wrote:
        > Is it more or less easy to add an option to blur the transparent
        > background like in OS X native (Dock Stacks) and other Cocoa (iTerm)
        > aps?
        > It would more fit to the 10.6+ GUI.

        I don't know how this is done. If its not a major addition I'd accept
        a patch however, in case anybody feels like implementing this.

      • Ben Schmidt
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 2, 2011
          On 2/04/11 7:07 PM, björn wrote:
          > On 1 April 2011 19:29, Tom wrote:
          >> Is it more or less easy to add an option to blur the transparent
          >> background like in OS X native (Dock Stacks) and other Cocoa (iTerm)
          >> aps?
          >> It would more fit to the 10.6+ GUI.
          >
          > I don't know how this is done. If its not a major addition I'd accept
          > a patch however, in case anybody feels like implementing this.

          I don't know what this blurring is exactly, but on the surface I don't like the
          idea. If I make my window transparent, it's because I'm trying to look at
          something behind it, and having it blurred would be tremendously unhelpful.

          Ben.

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 2, 2011
            On 2 April 2011 11:49, Ben Schmidt wrote:
            > On 2/04/11 7:07 PM, björn wrote:
            >>
            >> On 1 April 2011 19:29, Tom wrote:
            >>>
            >>> Is it more or less easy to add an option to blur the transparent
            >>> background like in OS X native (Dock Stacks) and other Cocoa (iTerm)
            >>> aps?
            >>> It would more fit to the 10.6+ GUI.
            >>
            >> I don't know how this is done.  If its not a major addition I'd accept
            >> a patch however, in case anybody feels like implementing this.
            >
            > I don't know what this blurring is exactly, but on the surface I don't like
            > the idea. If I make my window transparent, it's because I'm trying to look
            > at something behind it, and having it blurred would be tremendously
            > unhelpful.

            Maybe I should have been clearer: I don't think replacing the current
            transparency with a blurred background would be a good idea because I
            am guessing most people would agree with Ben on this issue (myself
            included). (To be honest, I'm not a big fan of transparent
            backgrounds as it is, although I do have "au FocusLost * set
            transp=10" and "au FocusGained * set transp=0" in my gvimrc.)

            However, if somebody wants to write a patch which optionally enables
            such a feature and if sufficiently many people want the patch merged
            and finally if it is a "simple" patch, then I will consider merging
            it.

            In my mind this type of feature is a little bit too much in the
            direction of the suggestion of being able to set a background picture,
            so its not exactly on the top of my most wanted additions. (I'm of
            course open to arguments to convince me otherwise.)

          • Jjgod Jiang
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 2, 2011

              On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 12:44 PM, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:
              >>> I don't know how this is done.  If its not a major addition I'd accept
              >>> a patch however, in case anybody feels like implementing this.

              With a private Apple API it's actually quite simple, you can apply any
              Core Image filter to a CGWindow, see:

              http://winjade.net/board/index.php?showtopic=8984&pid=116022

              Blurminal used this technic:

              https://github.com/ciaran/Blurminal/blob/master/Blurminal.m

              - Jiang

            • Christopher Stone
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 2, 2011
                On Apr 02, 2011, at 04:49, Ben Schmidt wrote:
                > I don't know what this blurring is exactly, but on the surface I don't like the idea. If I make my window transparent, it's because I'm trying to look at something behind it, and having it blurred would be tremendously unhelpful.

                Other than in very specific instances I utterly hate object transparency.

                --
                Best Regards,
                Chris