Re: Spell checking possibilities with MacVim

  • dacresni
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 25, 2011
      not all words are in the dictionary, sometimes you specifically wish to spell a word wrong to emphasize a point or to exemplify the wrong spelling of a word. haven't you heard of "zarro boogs found "?

    • Barrie Stott
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 26, 2011
        On 26 Mar 2011, at 00:36, dacresni wrote:

        > not all words are in the dictionary, sometimes you specifically wish to spell a word wrong to emphasize a point or to exemplify the wrong spelling of a word.

        I've now found in the vim help file a reason for putting bad spellings in a wordlist. I quote:

        ----------------------
        BAD WORDS *spell-BAD*

        In the affix file a BAD line can be used to define the affix name used for
        bad words. Example:

        BAD ! ~

        This can be used to exclude words that would otherwise be good. For example
        "the the" in the .dic file:

        the the/! ~

        While we want to accept the word 'the', we would normally want to flag 'the the' as bad to allow us to get rid of one of the 'the' words.

        > haven't you heard of "zarro boogs found "?

        No. I never came across this until I read your email.

        Thanks for your reply.

        Barrie.