Re: where to paste my vimrc

  • Peter Palmreuther
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 22, 2011
      Hello,

      On 22.03.2011 at 14:41 Ricardo S wrote:

      > Hey people, I want to use vim as root in my mac (sudo).

      Just to make clear why any further discussion about this most probably should be continued on a different list: "vim" != "MacVim".

      > However, I didn't manage to find out where I should paste my customized vimrc so
      > that the execution of vim as root (sudo) will open the editor with my
      > sintax definitions. Any tips?

      sudo vim -c scriptnames

      should tell you what files are used. Usually this will be the very same as without 'sudo'.

      sudo -H vim [-c scriptnames]

      sets $HOME for 'vim'-process to destination users HOME ('/var/root' for root @ Mac).

      sudo -i vim [-c scriptnames]

      will open a target users login shell before vim. Therefore vim's environment will look like target user would have logged in.
      --
      Regards,

      Peter

    • Ben Schmidt
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 23, 2011
        > Just to make clear why any further discussion about this most probably
        > should be continued on a different list: "vim" != "MacVim".

        I don't think this is a specific MacVim list. Anything related to Vim on
        the Mac belongs here, IMHO. That includes stuff about MacVim (which is
        Vim with a specific GUI), as well as console Vim, vim-cocoa, and any
        others.

        That said, it's true that Vim questions that are not Mac-specific, even
        though the platform is the Mac, would probably be seen by more people
        and thus may be better addressed if sent to vim_use.

        Ben.