Hover behaviour on methods and classes - where does it come from in Macvim?

  • Chris Adams
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 19, 2011
      Hi all,

      Is there a setting in Macvim to provide automatic rdoc lookups on
      classes, functions and methods, and display them in tooltips?

      I was working in a file, trying out the ctags integration in Vim, and
      somehow, when would I hover my mouse over methods or classes, it
      triggered a lookup of the word in the relevant rdoc documentation,
      giving some helpful context to methods.

      As you'd imagine this was very useful when looking through some new
      code, but frustratingly, I'm not sure how I managed to turn this on,
      so I don't know how I'd go about using it on future projects.

      I've tried googling for this, and looking through MacVim help files,
      and a the documentation of plugins I assumed it would be linked to,
      like the taglist plugin, but I'm having no luck - is this native to
      MacVim, or should I be trawling elsewhere to find the docs for this?

      Thanks,

      Chris

      P.S. I'm using MacVim 7.3 on OS 10.6.6, and my .vimrc and .gvmrc files
      are here on in this repo on github , on and I'm working on this
      'safe_vim' branch: https://github.com/mrchrisadams/janus/tree/safe_vim

    • Kent Sibilev
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 19, 2011
        On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 12:35 PM, Chris Adams <mail@...> wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > Is there a setting in Macvim to provide automatic rdoc lookups on
        > classes, functions and methods, and display them in tooltips?
        >
        > I was working in a file, trying out the ctags integration in Vim, and
        > somehow, when would I hover my mouse over methods or classes, it
        > triggered a lookup of the word in the relevant rdoc documentation,
        > giving some helpful context to methods.
        >
        > As you'd imagine this was very useful when looking through some new
        > code, but frustratingly, I'm not sure how I managed to turn this on,
        > so I don't know how I'd go about using it on future projects.
        >
        > I've tried googling for this, and looking through MacVim help files,
        > and a the documentation of plugins I assumed it would be linked to,
        > like the taglist plugin, but I'm having no luck - is this native to
        > MacVim, or should I be trawling elsewhere to find the docs for this?

        Check :h balloon-eval. vim-ruby plugin provides rdoc integration.

        Cheers,
        Kent