Re: insert multitline from ruby script

  • pierre
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 14, 2011
      It works indeed :)
      Thank you
      Piero

    • pierre
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 15, 2011
        Ahem!... another difficulty

        The technique
        <C-R>=system("ruby /path/to/file")
        works nicely apart from a problem: I can no longer
        access things like VIM::Buffer in my ruby script, while
        they work ok if I use
        :rubyf /path/to/file
        on the command line.

        So, what is the proper way to go?
        1) install the required vim-ruby packages on my system
        (but which are the good ones?)
        2) inside my script, require or load the appropriate
        definitions (but where are they? inside macvim?
        inside /usr/share? in some ruby Framework?)
        3) last option: ask the list and let them explain to me
        what I'm missing. I'm sure there is a trivial solution

        Thanks,
        Piero

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 21, 2011
          On 15 March 2011 14:02, pierre wrote:
          > Ahem!... another difficulty
          > The technique
          > <C-R>=system("ruby /path/to/file")
          > works nicely apart from a problem: I can no longer
          > access things like VIM::Buffer in my ruby script, while
          > they work ok if I use
          > :rubyf /path/to/file
          > on the command line.

          Instead of sytem(...) you can call any Vim function...in particular
          you can supply your own. For example:

          function! Test()
          return "hi!"
          endfunction

          You can now <C-R>=Test() and "hi!" will be inserted into the buffer.
          If you need more help with this you should ask on the vim_use Google
          Group.