Cmd/Opt+Arrows don't work in Insert mode (but do in Normal)

  • philipx
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 8, 2011
      Hello.

      I've just recently installed MacVim trying to normalize to a single
      editor across all my platforms, but I'm having some problems that I
      confess are beyond my abilities to figure it out.

      Cmd+Arrows nor Opt+Arrows work well in Normal mode, but they don't in
      Insert mode. The cursor just moves one character at at time. They also
      don't work in command mode.

      The output of :imap seems to list the keys:
      i <D-Right> <Esc>A'<Space>
      i <D-BS> <C-U>
      i <M-BS> <C-W>
      i <M-Down> <C-O>}
      i <D-Down> * <C-End>
      i <M-Up> <C-O>{
      i <D-Up> * <C-Home>
      ! <M-Right> * <C-Right>
      ! <M-Left> * <C-Left>
      ! <D-Left> * <Home>
      ! <D-v> <C-R>*

      So does :nmap
      <M-Down> }
      <D-Down> * <C-End>
      <M-Up> {
      <D-Up> * <C-Home>
      <M-Right> * <C-Right>
      <D-Right> * <End>
      <M-Left> * <C-Left>
      <D-Left> * <Home>
      n <D-v> "*P

      C-Left/Right keys work as expected, and so do Fn-Left/Right.

      Running MacPort's MacVim @...57, which :version identifies
      itself as:
      VIM - Vi IMproved 7.3 (2010 Aug 15, compiled Mar 5 2011 00:59:40)
      MacOS X (unix) version
      Included patches: 1-107

      Thank you very much for any help you could give me.

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 10, 2011
        On 9 March 2011 06:49, philipx <google@...> wrote:
        > Hello.
        >
        > I've just recently installed MacVim trying to normalize to a single
        > editor across all my platforms, but I'm having some problems that I
        > confess are beyond my abilities to figure it out.
        >
        > Cmd+Arrows nor Opt+Arrows work well in Normal mode, but they don't in
        > Insert mode. The cursor just moves one character at at time. They also
        > don't work in command mode.
        >
        > The output of :imap seems to list the keys:
        > i  <D-Right>     <Esc>A'<Space>
        > i  <D-BS>        <C-U>
        > i  <M-BS>        <C-W>
        > i  <M-Down>      <C-O>}
        > i  <D-Down>    * <C-End>
        > i  <M-Up>        <C-O>{
        > i  <D-Up>      * <C-Home>
        > !  <M-Right>   * <C-Right>
        > !  <M-Left>    * <C-Left>
        > !  <D-Left>    * <Home>
        > !  <D-v>         <C-R>*
        >
        > So does :nmap
        >   <M-Down>      }
        >   <D-Down>    * <C-End>
        >   <M-Up>        {
        >   <D-Up>      * <C-Home>
        >   <M-Right>   * <C-Right>
        >   <D-Right>   * <End>
        >   <M-Left>    * <C-Left>
        >   <D-Left>    * <Home>
        > n  <D-v>         "*P
        >

        > C-Left/Right keys work as expected, and so do Fn-Left/Right.

        This should work (I just double-checked). Try going through the
        troubleshooting guide:

        https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/wiki/Troubleshooting

      • philipx
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 10, 2011
          Thank you Björn.
          I traced it to a incorrect "set paste" instruction - which of course
          is applicable only to the console version.
          I've wrapped it in a has("gui") statement so that it doesn't come up
          in gui mode.

          Thanks again.