Re: Console version of MacVim

  • Rainer Schmid
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 9, 2011
      > is it possible to use MacVim in the console? There is the 'mvim'
      > command which will launch the MacVim GUI. Basically, with traditional
      > vim, if you wanted the gui, you would start it with 'vim -g'. Whereas,
      > 'vim' would just run the editor in the console. I was wondering if
      > this is possible with MacVim.

      Just copy (or rename or symlink) the mvim script to vim and using this
      will start the console vim.

      Rainer

    • Petro Verkhogliad
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 9, 2011
        Thanks everyone. Symlinking to mvim works great!

        Petro

        On Mar 9, 8:04 am, Rainer Schmid <ashca...@...> wrote:
        > > is it possible to use MacVim in the console? There is the 'mvim'
        > > command which will launch the MacVim GUI. Basically, with traditional
        > > vim, if you wanted the gui, you would start it with 'vim -g'. Whereas,
        > > 'vim' would just run the editor in the console. I was wondering if
        > > this is possible with MacVim.
        >
        > Just copy (or rename or symlink) the mvim script to vim and using this
        > will start the console vim.
        >
        > Rainer

      • Russ McBride
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 9, 2011
          I think he's probably referring to the ability to use some of the vim commands on the console line (rather than starting up the console version of vim).

          On the *nix machines you can set your bash config file with: set -o vi
          and this will give you most of what you want. I don't know about windows boxes.

          Cheers,
          russ