Re: Console version of MacVim

  • David Schroeder
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 8, 2011
      Inside of the MacVim package, you should be able to find a 'Vim'
      executable. For me, it's in
      /Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim. Running that should give
      you a text-mode vim.

      -David

    • Seth Milliken
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 8, 2011
        On Mar 8, 7:27 am, Wy Mitbbs <wy.mit...@...> wrote:
        > just run vim?

        The problem is that this will invoke the default system vim, which is
        invariably a much older version than the one MacVim uses.

        But mvim considers the command with which it was invoked, so you could
        simply 'ln -s mvim cvim' wherever you keep your mvim, and you'll then
        be able to invoke the MacVim vim in the console with 'cvim'.

        (Depending on the precedence of mvim's parent path in your $PATH, you
        could even symlink to 'vim' and that would override the system vim.)

      • Rainer Schmid
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 9, 2011
          > is it possible to use MacVim in the console? There is the 'mvim'
          > command which will launch the MacVim GUI. Basically, with traditional
          > vim, if you wanted the gui, you would start it with 'vim -g'. Whereas,
          > 'vim' would just run the editor in the console. I was wondering if
          > this is possible with MacVim.

          Just copy (or rename or symlink) the mvim script to vim and using this
          will start the console vim.

          Rainer

        • Petro Verkhogliad
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 9, 2011
            Thanks everyone. Symlinking to mvim works great!

            Petro

            On Mar 9, 8:04 am, Rainer Schmid <ashca...@...> wrote:
            > > is it possible to use MacVim in the console? There is the 'mvim'
            > > command which will launch the MacVim GUI. Basically, with traditional
            > > vim, if you wanted the gui, you would start it with 'vim -g'. Whereas,
            > > 'vim' would just run the editor in the console. I was wondering if
            > > this is possible with MacVim.
            >
            > Just copy (or rename or symlink) the mvim script to vim and using this
            > will start the console vim.
            >
            > Rainer

          • Russ McBride
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 9, 2011
              I think he's probably referring to the ability to use some of the vim commands on the console line (rather than starting up the console version of vim).

              On the *nix machines you can set your bash config file with: set -o vi
              and this will give you most of what you want. I don't know about windows boxes.

              Cheers,
              russ