Window transparency

  • James Tyson
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 26, 2003
      Hey folks.

      Thanks for the wicked vim port - I've been missing gvim ever since I
      changed from my Linux box to my powerbook.

      One question though, can the cocoa version of vim do window
      transparency like everything else in osx does? (I just looked at my
      workmates transparent emacs windows and it was damn sexy.)

      Cheers.

      ---
      James Tyson
      Director, Giant Robot Ltd
      http://www.giantrobot.co.nz/
    • Eugene Lee
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 26, 2003
        On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 04:09:27PM +1300, James Tyson wrote:
        :
        : Thanks for the wicked vim port - I've been missing gvim ever since I
        : changed from my Linux box to my powerbook.

        I compiled vim-6.2 with X11 support, and gvim works fine for me under
        OS X 10.3 Panther and X11 v1.0.

        --
        Eugene Lee
        eugene at anime dot net
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 28, 2003
          On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 04:09:27PM +1300, James Tyson wrote:
          > Hey folks.
          >
          > Thanks for the wicked vim port - I've been missing gvim ever since I
          > changed from my Linux box to my powerbook.
          >
          > One question though, can the cocoa version of vim do window
          > transparency like everything else in osx does? (I just looked at my
          > workmates transparent emacs windows and it was damn sexy.)
          >
          > Cheers.

          My first guess is that this requires a patch to the GUI code, but
          should be fairly easy for someone who (unlike me) knows what (s)he is
          doing. My second thought is that I do not know what the user interface
          would be. Last I checked, for Terminal.app this was controlled by the
          Preferences plist. For Vim.app, would we implement a new option, make a
          new command, or what?

          :set alpha = 0 " fully transparent
          :transparent 50 " half transparent

          --Benji Fisher
        • MURAOKA Taro
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 28, 2003
            > One question though, can the cocoa version of vim do window
            > transparency like everything else in osx does? (I just looked at my

            Try this patch. This patch includes both patch for OSX and W2K/XP.

            To make window 50% transparent:
            :set transparency=128
            To make window opaque:
            :set transparency=255