Do MacVim (or Vim) developers use MacVim as source editor?

  • suniosg
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 20 10:17 PM
      Sorry if this is a silly question. I'm just wondering if developers of
      Vim or MacVim, besides Bram Moolenaar, use Vim as a self-creation
      tool, for the task of code editing, of course. Or do you use some
      other editor or IDE?

      For many years, I've been using Vim along with other text editor.
      Aware of the power of Vim and wise advice of expert programmers--use
      only one and learn to use it well--, I've never decided for just one,
      I use both for specific tasks.

      Thanks,
      J. Chaidez

    • Ben Schmidt
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 21 1:56 AM
        On 21/02/11 5:17 PM, suniosg wrote:
        > Hi,
        > Sorry if this is a silly question. I'm just wondering if developers of
        > Vim or MacVim, besides Bram Moolenaar, use Vim as a self-creation
        > tool, for the task of code editing, of course. Or do you use some
        > other editor or IDE?
        >
        > For many years, I've been using Vim along with other text editor.
        > Aware of the power of Vim and wise advice of expert programmers--use
        > only one and learn to use it well--, I've never decided for just one,
        > I use both for specific tasks.

        Of course we do. Though certainly not all of us, and not all the time. I
        myself even use Vim for writing my emails and much of my text for other
        documents.

        But I use IDEs and other editors from time to time, usually for quickly
        putting out spot fires or other small alterations, or for documents that
        are very formatting-rich and benefit from a WYSIWIG editor. For
        sustained text-editing sessions, I almost always use Vim.

        Stick around on the mailing list for a while, though, and you will hear
        of people who use Vim for all sorts of things, as well as people who use
        other editors too (and sometimes would like Vim to act more like them).

        Ben.

      • Douglas Drumond
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 21 3:38 AM
          Hi there,

          >> Sorry if this is a silly question. I'm just wondering if developers of
          >> Vim or MacVim, besides Bram Moolenaar, use Vim as a self-creation
          >> tool, for the task of code editing, of course. Or do you use some
          >> other editor or IDE?
          >
          > Of course we do.

          I second that. I work with Android development (I mean customizing
          Android itself, not just developing apps to run over Android), if I
          had to set up Eclipse to include all Android code plus apps code I
          would be doomed. It would be very cumbersome to set up and so slow to
          run. I can't imagine inputting <object><dot><wait a looooong time to
          code complete>. In this way, I'm very glad for vim + cscope.
          But when I want to develop a test app for Android or anything for
          iPhone, I use Eclipse or XCode.

          --
          Douglas Drumond