Re: MacVim and $PATH

  • Björn Winckler
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 19, 2011
      On Feb 19, 2011, at 8:53 PM, Israel Chauca F. wrote:

      > I know this is a Zsh issue, but we have users coming to IRC asking why their commands aren't found. So, maybe a note about this could go on the Troubleshooting section of the FAQ. I know the "other rc-files" section covers this, but it seems that many people (like me) have no idea about /etc/zshenv being there at all, so the problem remains unsolved.

      Please do add a section to the FAQ [1] -- it is a wiki so anybody can edit it. I'd do it myself, but as should be quite obvious I don't really get what's going on here so better somebody who does know adds an item.

      Björn

      [1] https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/wiki/FAQ

    • barry.allard@...
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 14 9:10 PM
        On Saturday, February 19, 2011 at 1:39:07 PM UTC-8, björn wrote:
        > On Feb 19, 2011, at 8:53 PM, Israel Chauca F. wrote:
        > >
        > > I know this is a Zsh issue, but we have users coming to IRC asking why their commands aren't found. So, maybe a note about this could go on the Troubleshooting section of the FAQ. I know the "other rc-files" section covers this, but it seems that many people (like me) have no idea about /etc/zshenv being there at all, so the problem remains unsolved.
        >
        > Please do add a section to the FAQ [1] -- it is a wiki so anybody can edit it. I'd do it myself, but as should be quite obvious I don't really get what's going on here so better somebody who does know adds an item.
        >
        > Björn
        >
        > [1] https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/wiki/FAQ

        Just encountered this problem also 4 years later. The issue is with OS X /etc/zshenv and /etc/profile overwriting PATH blindly in subshells.

        The fix is to replace each path_helper block with the following: sudo vi /etc/{profile,zshenv}

        if [ -x /usr/libexec/path_helper ]; then
        if [ -z "$PATH" ] || [ "$PATH" = /usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin ]; then
        eval `/usr/libexec/path_helper -s`
        fi
        fi

        It's probably worth submitting an Apple radar ticket so that it's fixed forever.

        Barry Allard