Re: encoding problem

  • Ben De Rydt
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 24, 2003
      On zaterdag, nov 22, 2003, at 19:35 Europe/Brussels, Sébastien Pierre
      wrote:

      > Hi Ben,
      >
      > Le samedi, 22 nov 2003, à 14:09 Europe/Paris, Ben De Rydt a écrit :
      >
      >> Can anyone give me a brief explanation of the problem with Vim.app
      >> and encodings.
      >>
      >> I was quite surprised that Vim.app doesn't even handle the
      >>
      >> encoding=utf-8
      >> fileencoding=utf-8
      >
      > There is a problem with correlating Carbon text input with the
      > internal text encoding, plus I'm not sure if the Carbon Vim has a
      > proper conversion library (it was not compiled with iconv when I last
      > looked at it). I tried to look at the gui_mac code to fix this, but it
      > seems like I would have a hard time trying to come up with a patch...

      There shouldn't be a problem on MacOSX to accept Unicode from the
      keyboard and output Unicode to the screen. I don't understand
      why Vim.app bothers with MacRoman (except for fileencoding)
      at all.

      I did try looking at this stuff, but I couldn't find my way
      in gui_mac. All I found was a bunch of code for integration
      in Metrowerks Codewarrior. Does anyone use this feature?

      Anyway, if someone can give me a brief on how Vim works with
      encodings, I'll try looking at it. Where do characters get
      read from the keyboard, and where do characters get written
      to the screen?

      Greetings,
      Ben.