Re: [vim-mac] Carbonized VIM

  • Bram Moolenaar
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 11, 2000
      Ammon Skidmore wrote:

      > I'm proud to announce the preliminary carbonization of the macvim
      > sources. I have not announced this anywhere else yet because I'd
      > like all of your approval first, being new to this list and all. The
      > changes I made are based on the unpatched 5.7 dist.

      Ehm, I don't know what Carbon is...

      If this should be included in the Vim 6.0 version, perhaps you can send me a
      diff (for the sources and documentation). You should make the diff relative
      to 6.0 though, since the Mac files have changed since version 5.7, and I can't
      test the result of including a patch.

      238. You think faxes are old-fashioned.

    • Ammon Skidmore
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 11, 2000
        >Ehm, I don't know what Carbon is...

        Short: Carbon allows Mac apps to run natively under Mac OS X (Apple's
        forthcoming OS based on BSD and the Mach microkernal). So, a
        Carbonized VIM is really just a port to a whole other OS. Now the
        list of VIM ports can include Mac OS X. (Note, the carbonized
        version can also run under Mac OS 8.6 and 9 if you install the freely
        available "CarbonLib" system extension.)

        Long: Carbon is an API from Apple that is based on the classic mac
        toolbox. Basically, Apple cleaned up the API and added some new
        calls to make things reentrant and not require poking around in low
        memory. This allows developers to "easily" port their old apps to OS
        X. Note that by Mac OS X I'm talking about the yet to be released
        client version. The currently available "Mac OS X Server" OS is a
        different beast, and doesn't use Carbon.

        I hope that all made sense.

        >If this should be included in the Vim 6.0 version, perhaps you can send me a
        >diff (for the sources and documentation). You should make the diff relative
        >to 6.0 though, since the Mac files have changed since version 5.7, and I can't
        >test the result of including a patch.

        Yes, it should definitely be included in Vim 6. I'll work on
        building the beta on my machine and then I'll send you a diff (may
        take a week though given time). I've never used a diff program on
        the mac. Can I do this with MPW, or should I just use UNIX?

        As there currently is a need for VIM under Mac OS X, I'd like to be
        able to release my Carbonized Vim 5.7 to the public (once I improve a
        couple more things). Is this acceptable? Can I just post my own
        binary on my web page?

        -Ammon
        --
        Skidperfect Software <http://www.skidperfect.com/>
      • Bram Moolenaar
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 12, 2000
          Ammon Skidmore wrote:

          Thanks for the explanation of Carbon.

          > Yes, it should definitely be included in Vim 6. I'll work on
          > building the beta on my machine and then I'll send you a diff (may
          > take a week though given time). I've never used a diff program on
          > the mac. Can I do this with MPW, or should I just use UNIX?

          Isn't there a "diff" command for the Mac? Someone must have ported it.
          Otherwise do this on a Unix system. Please use "diff -c" or "diff -u" to get
          some context.

          > As there currently is a need for VIM under Mac OS X, I'd like to be
          > able to release my Carbonized Vim 5.7 to the public (once I improve a
          > couple more things). Is this acceptable? Can I just post my own
          > binary on my web page?

          Sure, feel free to make a modified 5.7 for this purpose. Just make clear
          which changes it includes. And since you're going to send me a diff, you
          comply to the Vim license as explained at ":help copying".

          249. You've forgotten what the outside looks like.