Mapping "anything" in MacOS

  • Stephen Riehm
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 23, 2003
      Hi guys,

      It's been bothering me for a while that vim can decode the command keys
      as <D-...> but the alt/option-key just turns up as strange characters.
      I decided to look into it this morning, and came to the conclusion that
      we're out of luck :-(

      If I've got it right:
      command keys can be "decoded" into D-... easily, but some can't be
      used, ie: D-h, D-q, D-. (translates to ^C!? D-> too btw!)
      option keys essentially can't be decoded at all. They get translated
      to "special characters" (ie: alt-u a give you รค, so you can't use alt-u
      for anything either)

      Has anyone written up a document about these restrictions?
      Are they "hard coded in Mac OS" or are they just convention?

      Steve
      PS: I've also noticed similar things happen on linux, ie: hitting some
      alt- combinations pop's up menus etc, even though I've got no pop-up
      menu's defined at all.