encoding problem

  • Ben De Rydt
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 22, 2003
      Can anyone give me a brief explanation of the problem with Vim.app
      and encodings.

      I was quite surprised that Vim.app doesn't even handle the

      encoding=utf-8
      fileencoding=utf-8

      case. (FYI, ë (U+00EB) became 0xC2 0x91 instead of 0xC3 0xAB.)

      What needs to be done to get this working?

      Greetings,
      Ben.
    • Ben De Rydt
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 24, 2003
        On zaterdag, nov 22, 2003, at 19:35 Europe/Brussels, Sébastien Pierre
        wrote:

        > Hi Ben,
        >
        > Le samedi, 22 nov 2003, à 14:09 Europe/Paris, Ben De Rydt a écrit :
        >
        >> Can anyone give me a brief explanation of the problem with Vim.app
        >> and encodings.
        >>
        >> I was quite surprised that Vim.app doesn't even handle the
        >>
        >> encoding=utf-8
        >> fileencoding=utf-8
        >
        > There is a problem with correlating Carbon text input with the
        > internal text encoding, plus I'm not sure if the Carbon Vim has a
        > proper conversion library (it was not compiled with iconv when I last
        > looked at it). I tried to look at the gui_mac code to fix this, but it
        > seems like I would have a hard time trying to come up with a patch...

        There shouldn't be a problem on MacOSX to accept Unicode from the
        keyboard and output Unicode to the screen. I don't understand
        why Vim.app bothers with MacRoman (except for fileencoding)
        at all.

        I did try looking at this stuff, but I couldn't find my way
        in gui_mac. All I found was a bunch of code for integration
        in Metrowerks Codewarrior. Does anyone use this feature?

        Anyway, if someone can give me a brief on how Vim works with
        encodings, I'll try looking at it. Where do characters get
        read from the keyboard, and where do characters get written
        to the screen?

        Greetings,
        Ben.