multi-comment no worky?

  • jml
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 19, 2011
      hi there,
      i used to do the following to obtain a multi-line comment in vim:

      ctrl-v
      shift-i
      <type char>
      esc

      for some reason this is not working for me...
      is this maybe something wrong w/ my configuration, or is it broken?

      thanks,
      jml

    • Ben Schmidt
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 19, 2011
        On 20/01/11 10:53 AM, jml wrote:
        > hi there,
        > i used to do the following to obtain a multi-line comment in vim:
        >
        > ctrl-v
        > shift-i
        > <type char>
        > esc
        >
        > for some reason this is not working for me...
        > is this maybe something wrong w/ my configuration, or is it broken?

        Works fine for me (moving the cursor an appropriate amount after
        pressing Ctrl-V, and using # or // or whatever is appropriate for
        <type char>).

        Ben.

      • jml
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 20, 2011
          ugh. on my new computer, the function key is where the control key
          was... sheesh.
          sorry for the noise.

          on a similar note, is there a way to change the delay between when i
          hit 'esc' and the replacement happening?

          thanks,
          jml

          On Jan 19, 4:05 pm, Ben Schmidt <mail_ben_schm...@...> wrote:
          > On 20/01/11 10:53 AM, jml wrote:
          >
          > > hi there,
          > > i used to do the following to obtain a multi-line comment in vim:
          >
          > > ctrl-v
          > > shift-i
          > > <type char>
          > > esc
          >
          > > for some reason this is not working for me...
          > > is this maybe something wrong w/ my configuration, or is it broken?
          >
          > Works fine for me (moving the cursor an appropriate amount after
          > pressing Ctrl-V, and using # or // or whatever is appropriate for
          > <type char>).
          >
          > Ben.

        • Ben Schmidt
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 21, 2011
            :help 'ttimeoutlen'

            (and see nearby/related options)

            Ben.

            On 21/01/11 11:20 AM, jml wrote:
            > ugh. on my new computer, the function key is where the control key
            > was... sheesh.
            > sorry for the noise.
            >
            > on a similar note, is there a way to change the delay between when i
            > hit 'esc' and the replacement happening?
            >
            > thanks,
            > jml
            >
            > On Jan 19, 4:05 pm, Ben Schmidt<mail_ben_schm...@...> wrote:
            >> On 20/01/11 10:53 AM, jml wrote:
            >>
            >>> hi there,
            >>> i used to do the following to obtain a multi-line comment in vim:
            >>
            >>> ctrl-v
            >>> shift-i
            >>> <type char>
            >>> esc
            >>
            >>> for some reason this is not working for me...
            >>> is this maybe something wrong w/ my configuration, or is it broken?
            >>
            >> Works fine for me (moving the cursor an appropriate amount after
            >> pressing Ctrl-V, and using # or // or whatever is appropriate for
            >> <type char>).
            >>
            >> Ben.

          • sajt
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 27, 2012
              Hi!

              I have the same problem in my Mac (Lion). I made the same things (control+V,
              I, #, esc), but only the first character is changed. I tried it in local in
              a terminal, remote in secure schell and with mac-gvim, but nothing.

              Thanks!

              Tamas Amon