Poll: Proxy icon

    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 18, 2010
      Hi,

      I recently received a bug report on the way MacVim handles proxy icons [1].

      Currently, MacVim marks a window as being "edited" if there is at
      least one unsaved buffer. This has the consequence that the red
      "close" button has a dot in it whenever some buffer is modified (be it
      hidden/visible/whatever) but it also means that the proxy icon is
      greyed out and inaccessible unless all buffers have been saved.

      I don't have many other apps to compare with but Xcode for example
      only marks the window as "edited" if the visible/active view has a
      buffer with unsaved text. This and [1] leads me to think that I
      should change MacVim to conform with this behavior and thereby also
      resolving [1].

      Does anybody have any opinions on this? (If not I will go ahead and
      make this change.)

      I kind of like it that the red button shows a dot whenever some buffer
      is unsaved, but at the same time it is not good that the proxy icon is
      greyed out most of the time, which is why I am asking for opinions.

      Björn

      [1] http://code.google.com/p/macvim/issues/detail?id=307

    • Wy Mitbbs
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 18, 2010
        wow. interesting. never heard of this proxy icon before. so what's supposed to happen if you click on a proxy icon? Thanks.

        Yi

        On Dec 18, 2010, at 11:13 AM, björn wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I recently received a bug report on the way MacVim handles proxy icons [1].
        >
        > Currently, MacVim marks a window as being "edited" if there is at
        > least one unsaved buffer. This has the consequence that the red
        > "close" button has a dot in it whenever some buffer is modified (be it
        > hidden/visible/whatever) but it also means that the proxy icon is
        > greyed out and inaccessible unless all buffers have been saved.
        >
        > I don't have many other apps to compare with but Xcode for example
        > only marks the window as "edited" if the visible/active view has a
        > buffer with unsaved text. This and [1] leads me to think that I
        > should change MacVim to conform with this behavior and thereby also
        > resolving [1].
        >
        > Does anybody have any opinions on this? (If not I will go ahead and
        > make this change.)
        >
        > I kind of like it that the red button shows a dot whenever some buffer
        > is unsaved, but at the same time it is not good that the proxy icon is
        > greyed out most of the time, which is why I am asking for opinions.
        >

        > Björn
        >

        > [1] http://code.google.com/p/macvim/issues/detail?id=307
        >
        > --

      • Carl Jacobsen
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 18, 2010
          On Sat, 18 Dec 2010, Wy Mitbbs wrote:

          > wow. interesting. never heard of this proxy icon before. so
          > what's supposed to happen if you click on a proxy icon? Thanks.
          >
          > Yi

          If I'm not confusing it with something else, the proxy icon is the
          tiny document icon next to the filename in the bar at the top of
          the document window, and clicking it does nothing, but: A) you can
          drag it to the same places/programs where you might drag the
          document's icon in the Finder (thus the name, it's serving as a
          proxy for the document's Finder icon); and, B) you can control- or
          command-click on the icon, to display a dropdown menu showing the
          full path to the file, one row per enclosing folder. I find this
          latter useful because you can click on any of the enclosing folders
          to open them up in the Finder.

          Cheers,
          Carl

        • Robert S Ciaccio
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 18, 2010
            On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 9:13 AM, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:
            > Hi,
            >
            > I recently received a bug report on the way MacVim handles proxy icons [1].
            >
            > Currently, MacVim marks a window as being "edited" if there is at
            > least one unsaved buffer.  This has the consequence that the red
            > "close" button has a dot in it whenever some buffer is modified (be it
            > hidden/visible/whatever) but it also means that the proxy icon is
            > greyed out and inaccessible unless all buffers have been saved.
            >
            > I don't have many other apps to compare with but Xcode for example
            > only marks the window as "edited" if the visible/active view has a
            > buffer with unsaved text.  This and [1] leads me to think that I
            > should change MacVim to conform with this behavior and thereby also
            > resolving [1].
            >
            > Does anybody have any opinions on this?  (If not I will go ahead and
            > make this change.)
            >
            > I kind of like it that the red button shows a dot whenever some buffer
            > is unsaved, but at the same time it is not good that the proxy icon is
            > greyed out most of the time, which is why I am asking for opinions.
            >

            > Björn
            >

            > [1] http://code.google.com/p/macvim/issues/detail?id=307
            >
            > --

            Hi Björn,

            I voted by starring this on the google code project. I just wanted to
            expand on this by saying I think the expected behavior is what you are
            proposing. Surprisingly, there aren't many Apple applications that
            have tabbed document editing. However, other tabbed editors I've seen
            tend to leave the proxy icon accessible if the document in the current
            tab has not been modified. This also extends to the darkened red
            circle... e.g.:

            I have 3 documents open, in 3 separate tabs, only one of which has
            been modified.

            If I select the tabs with unmodified documents, they have the
            'default' red circle (no dark circle in the middle), and the proxy
            icon is accessible (not grayed out).

            The tab with the modified document has a dark red circle and a grey proxy icon.

            --
            Best,
            Rob Ciaccio

          • Chris Insinger
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 18, 2010
              Hi Bjorn,

              I agree with your proposed change.

              Regards,

              Chris

              Sent from my iPad

              On Dec 19, 2010, at 1:13 AM, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > I recently received a bug report on the way MacVim handles proxy icons [1].
              >
              > Currently, MacVim marks a window as being "edited" if there is at
              > least one unsaved buffer. This has the consequence that the red
              > "close" button has a dot in it whenever some buffer is modified (be it
              > hidden/visible/whatever) but it also means that the proxy icon is
              > greyed out and inaccessible unless all buffers have been saved.
              >
              > I don't have many other apps to compare with but Xcode for example
              > only marks the window as "edited" if the visible/active view has a
              > buffer with unsaved text. This and [1] leads me to think that I
              > should change MacVim to conform with this behavior and thereby also
              > resolving [1].
              >
              > Does anybody have any opinions on this? (If not I will go ahead and
              > make this change.)
              >
              > I kind of like it that the red button shows a dot whenever some buffer
              > is unsaved, but at the same time it is not good that the proxy icon is
              > greyed out most of the time, which is why I am asking for opinions.
              >

              > Björn
              >

              > [1] http://code.google.com/p/macvim/issues/detail?id=307
              >
              > --

            • Kyle Lippincott

                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 19, 2010
                  On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 6:13 PM, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:
                  > I kind of like it that the red button shows a dot whenever some buffer
                  > is unsaved, but at the same time it is not good that the proxy icon is
                  > greyed out most of the time, which is why I am asking for opinions.

                  I also agree with your proposal. Also, I do not understand why the
                  proxy icon should be disabled if the document it represent exists on
                  the file system.

                  Ciao.
                  -- fabio

                • Robert S Ciaccio
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 19, 2010
                    On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 1:49 AM, Fabio Inguaggiato
                    <fabio.inguaggiato@...> wrote:
                    > On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 6:13 PM, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:
                    >> I kind of like it that the red button shows a dot whenever some buffer
                    >> is unsaved, but at the same time it is not good that the proxy icon is
                    >> greyed out most of the time, which is why I am asking for opinions.
                    >
                    > I also agree with your proposal. Also, I do not understand why the
                    > proxy icon should be disabled if the document it represent exists on
                    > the file system.
                    >

                    > Ciao.
                    > -- fabio
                    >
                    > --

                    I think it's because if you can access the proxy icon after the file
                    has been modified in memory, you can move it or delete it before
                    saving your changes.

                  • David Patrick Henderson
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 19, 2010
                      On 19 Dec 2010, at 01:49, Fabio Inguaggiato wrote:

                      > I also agree with your proposal. Also, I do not understand why the proxy icon should be disabled if the document it represent exists on the file system.

                      It is disabled if the file in the buffer no longer represents the current state of the file on disk. IOW, the window buffer's contents exist in memory and not on disk as in the buffer has unsaved changes.

                      Dave
                      --
                      "Human beings are unable to be honest with themselves about themselves. They cannot talk about themselves without embellishing."
                      -- Akira Kurosawa

                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 19, 2010
                        I have implemented this change now [1]. Thanks to everybody who responded.

                        Björn

                        [1] https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/commit/50b3a7f8e75a2f5b640d037b36eb7d595a36638d