building Carbon-LESS gvim on Panther

  • Eugene Lee
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 31, 2003
      Can anyone build vim/gvim without Carbon support? All of the options
      I've tried:

      --enable-carbon-check=no
      --disable-carbon-check
      --enable-gui=no
      --disable-gui

      does not stop the configure script from detecting for Carbon support.

      checking for Darwin (Mac OS X)... yes
      checking for Carbon/Carbon.h... yes

      If I do a plain "./configure" with no options, it still detects Carbon
      support. Then on the make, I get such lovely error messages as:

      $ make
      Starting make in the src directory.
      If there are problems, cd to the src directory and run make there
      cd src && make first
      CC="gcc -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -arch ppc -fno-common -fpascal-strings -Wall -Wno-unknown-pragmas -mdynamic-no-pic -pipe -I. -Iproto -I/Developer/Headers/FlatCarbon -g -O2 -DMACOS_X_UNIX -no-cpp-precomp " srcdir=. sh ./osdef.sh
      gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -arch ppc -fno-common -fpascal-strings -Wall -Wno-unknown-pragmas -mdynamic-no-pic -pipe -I. -Iproto -I/Developer/Headers/FlatCarbon -g -O2 -DMACOS_X_UNIX -no-cpp-precomp -o objects/buffer.o buffer.c
      In file included from buffer.c:29:
      vim.h:248:21: os_mac.h: No such file or directory
      In file included from vim.h:1544,
      from buffer.c:29:
      proto.h:66:24: os_mac.pro: No such file or directory
      proto.h:200:26: gui_mac.pro: No such file or directory
      make[1]: *** [objects/buffer.o] Error 1
      make: *** [first] Error 2

      Any suggestions are appreciated.

      --
      Eugene Lee
      eugene at anime dot net
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 1, 2003
        Eugene Lee wrote:

        > Can anyone build vim/gvim without Carbon support? All of the options
        > I've tried:
        >
        > --enable-carbon-check=no
        > --disable-carbon-check
        > --enable-gui=no
        > --disable-gui
        >
        > does not stop the configure script from detecting for Carbon support.
        >
        > checking for Darwin (Mac OS X)... yes
        > checking for Carbon/Carbon.h... yes

        That's normal, the configure script always detects this file. But
        whether the GUI is enabled is decided further on. "--disable-gui" does
        disable it.

        > If I do a plain "./configure" with no options, it still detects Carbon
        > support. Then on the make, I get such lovely error messages as:
        >
        > $ make
        > Starting make in the src directory.
        > If there are problems, cd to the src directory and run make there
        > cd src && make first
        > CC="gcc -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -arch ppc -fno-common -fpascal-strings -Wall -Wno-unknown-pragmas -mdynamic-no-pic -pipe -I. -Iproto -I/Developer/Headers/FlatCarbon -g -O2 -DMACOS_X_UNIX -no-cpp-precomp " srcdir=. sh ./osdef.sh
        > gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -arch ppc -fno-common -fpascal-strings -Wall -Wno-unknown-pragmas -mdynamic-no-pic -pipe -I. -Iproto -I/Developer/Headers/FlatCarbon -g -O2 -DMACOS_X_UNIX -no-cpp-precomp -o objects/buffer.o buffer.c
        > In file included from buffer.c:29:
        > vim.h:248:21: os_mac.h: No such file or directory
        > In file included from vim.h:1544,
        > from buffer.c:29:
        > proto.h:66:24: os_mac.pro: No such file or directory
        > proto.h:200:26: gui_mac.pro: No such file or directory
        > make[1]: *** [objects/buffer.o] Error 1
        > make: *** [first] Error 2
        >
        > Any suggestions are appreciated.

        You do need to unpack the extra archive when compiling the Mac version.
        (*)

        Perhaps you wanted to build Vim like it's done on Unix, without any Mac
        support? I suppose we need to add another configure argument for this.
        Or should disabling Carbon automatically mean that we are building a
        pure Unix version, without any Mac-specific code?

        (*)
        I tried compiling this way, with "--disable-gui" but that didn't work.
        Need to use -I/Developer/Headers/FlatCarbon to make it compile. Then
        linking fails, all kinds of gui things are missing. It's probably
        because of this in vim.h:

        #if defined(MACOS)
        # define FEAT_GUI_MAC
        #endif

        The question is: When compiling a Mac version of Vim without Carbon,
        that is suppose to run in a terminal, should we skip all the
        Mac-specific code? Thus compile like it's done on Unix?

        I removed the define of FEAT_GUI_MAC from vim.h and then building Vim
        worked fine. This define should be moved to the Makefile, like it's
        done for other GUIs.

      • Eugene Lee
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 1, 2003
          On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 01:32:34PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
          :
          : Eugene Lee wrote:
          : >
          : > Can anyone build vim/gvim without Carbon support?
          [...]
          : > does not stop the configure script from detecting for Carbon support.
          : >
          : > checking for Darwin (Mac OS X)... yes
          : > checking for Carbon/Carbon.h... yes
          :
          : That's normal, the configure script always detects this file. But
          : whether the GUI is enabled is decided further on. "--disable-gui"
          : does disable it.

          Still,

          $ ./configure --disable-gui
          $ make

          continues to fail on the make.

          : You do need to unpack the extra archive when compiling the Mac version.
          : (*)

          I thought about this. That's why I asked here. :-)

          : Perhaps you wanted to build Vim like it's done on Unix, without any Mac
          : support? I suppose we need to add another configure argument for this.
          : Or should disabling Carbon automatically mean that we are building a
          : pure Unix version, without any Mac-specific code?

          Yes. I've been able to do this with previous builds of Vim. I'd like
          to see this continue. The reason is that previous Carbon builds
          (haven't played with the 6.2.x builds) are slower than the equivalent
          X11 gvim in visual areas like syntax highlighting & window refreshing.

          : (*)
          : I tried compiling this way, with "--disable-gui" but that didn't work.
          : Need to use -I/Developer/Headers/FlatCarbon to make it compile. Then
          : linking fails, all kinds of gui things are missing. It's probably
          : because of this in vim.h:
          :
          : #if defined(MACOS)
          : # define FEAT_GUI_MAC
          : #endif
          :
          : The question is: When compiling a Mac version of Vim without Carbon,
          : that is suppose to run in a terminal, should we skip all the
          : Mac-specific code? Thus compile like it's done on Unix?

          I think so. Mac OS X, at its core, is still Unix. Unless there is such
          a thing as a Carbon-linked terminal version of Vim, and such a beast has
          additional features over a Carbon-less terminal version of Vim, I think
          there should always be the option to build Vim without Carbon.

          : I removed the define of FEAT_GUI_MAC from vim.h and then building Vim
          : worked fine. This define should be moved to the Makefile, like it's
          : done for other GUIs.

          Very cool! I appreciate you looking into this. Can't wait for the
          offical patch. :-)

          --
          Eugene Lee
          eugene at anime dot net
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 1, 2003
            On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 01:14:13PM -0600, Eugene Lee wrote:
            > On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 01:32:34PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
            > :
            > : The question is: When compiling a Mac version of Vim without Carbon,
            > : that is suppose to run in a terminal, should we skip all the
            > : Mac-specific code? Thus compile like it's done on Unix?
            >
            > I think so. Mac OS X, at its core, is still Unix. Unless there is such
            > a thing as a Carbon-linked terminal version of Vim, and such a beast has
            > additional features over a Carbon-less terminal version of Vim, I think
            > there should always be the option to build Vim without Carbon.

            I tend to agree, provided that the system clipboard is still
            available as "* or "+ . I cannot think of any other "Mac features" that
            I would want to use while in terminal mode.

            Another thing to keep in mind: with OS X.iii (Panther), Apple
            makes X11 an install option (like the "BSD subsystem"). This means that
            a lot more users will have X11 support. I think that an X11/Carbon dual
            GUI version of vim is pretty unlikely, so it makes sense to have one
            version with X11 support (or no GUI at all, of course) and another with
            Carbon support. The X11 version would look for runtime files in
            /usr/share/local/vim and the Carbon one would carry them around inside
            the bundle.

            --Benji Fisher
          • Bram Moolenaar
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 2, 2003
              Benji Fisher wrote:

              > On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 01:14:13PM -0600, Eugene Lee wrote:
              > > On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 01:32:34PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
              > > :
              > > : The question is: When compiling a Mac version of Vim without Carbon,
              > > : that is suppose to run in a terminal, should we skip all the
              > > : Mac-specific code? Thus compile like it's done on Unix?
              > >
              > > I think so. Mac OS X, at its core, is still Unix. Unless there is such
              > > a thing as a Carbon-linked terminal version of Vim, and such a beast has
              > > additional features over a Carbon-less terminal version of Vim, I think
              > > there should always be the option to build Vim without Carbon.
              >
              > I tend to agree, provided that the system clipboard is still
              > available as "* or "+ . I cannot think of any other "Mac features" that
              > I would want to use while in terminal mode.
              >
              > Another thing to keep in mind: with OS X.iii (Panther), Apple
              > makes X11 an install option (like the "BSD subsystem"). This means that
              > a lot more users will have X11 support. I think that an X11/Carbon dual
              > GUI version of vim is pretty unlikely, so it makes sense to have one
              > version with X11 support (or no GUI at all, of course) and another with
              > Carbon support. The X11 version would look for runtime files in
              > /usr/share/local/vim and the Carbon one would carry them around inside
              > the bundle.

              Feel free to produce any version you think is useful. But then please
              also fix any problems that pop up. We now have so many different
              combinations of options that I can't keep track of them.

              I'll add a --disable-darwin argument for configure. This will ignore
              the Darwin detection, thus compile Vim as if it was on Unix.

              I don't know whether the terminal version should be compiled with Darwin
              support or without. They both appear to work.

              I'll soon send out a patch, please try various combinations of features
              after that.

              --
              Biting someone with your natural teeth is "simple assault," while biting
              someone with your false teeth is "aggravated assault."

            • Bram Moolenaar
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 2, 2003
                Eugene Lee wrote:

                > Still,
                >
                > $ ./configure --disable-gui
                > $ make
                >
                > continues to fail on the make.

                I have fixed that now.

                > : You do need to unpack the extra archive when compiling the Mac version.
                > : (*)
                >
                > I thought about this. That's why I asked here. :-)

                Now that I'm adding a --disable-darwin configure argument, I can also
                check if os_macosx.c is there. If it isn't then Darwin support will be
                automatically disabled.

                > : Perhaps you wanted to build Vim like it's done on Unix, without any Mac
                > : support? I suppose we need to add another configure argument for this.
                > : Or should disabling Carbon automatically mean that we are building a
                > : pure Unix version, without any Mac-specific code?
                >
                > Yes. I've been able to do this with previous builds of Vim. I'd like
                > to see this continue. The reason is that previous Carbon builds
                > (haven't played with the 6.2.x builds) are slower than the equivalent
                > X11 gvim in visual areas like syntax highlighting & window refreshing.

                You can already build with X11 by giving a --with-x argument to
                configure. It's explained in the Makefile.

                > : The question is: When compiling a Mac version of Vim without Carbon,
                > : that is suppose to run in a terminal, should we skip all the
                > : Mac-specific code? Thus compile like it's done on Unix?
                >
                > I think so. Mac OS X, at its core, is still Unix. Unless there is such
                > a thing as a Carbon-linked terminal version of Vim, and such a beast has
                > additional features over a Carbon-less terminal version of Vim, I think
                > there should always be the option to build Vim without Carbon.

                Unfortunately, Darwin is not completely Unix. For example, resource
                forks in files can only be handled by Darwin code. And the compiler is
                different, the precompiled header warnings are sometimes annoying.

                > : I removed the define of FEAT_GUI_MAC from vim.h and then building Vim
                > : worked fine. This define should be moved to the Makefile, like it's
                > : done for other GUIs.
                >
                > Very cool! I appreciate you looking into this. Can't wait for the
                > offical patch. :-)

                I'll send it out shortly, so that we can find the next problem.

                The other methods for compiling Vim on the Mac will have to add
                FEAT_GUI_MAC to their build commands.

                --
                Snoring is prohibited unless all bedroom windows are closed and securely
                locked.

              • Rain Dog
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 9, 2003
                  On Sunday, November 2, 2003, at 04:32 AM, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                  > Unfortunately, Darwin is not completely Unix. For example, resource
                  > forks in files can only be handled by Darwin code. And the compiler is
                  > different, the precompiled header warnings are sometimes annoying.

                  % sudo fixPrecomps

                  should take care of those warnings. (Thanks to macosxhints.com for
                  this tip.)
                • Bram Moolenaar
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 10, 2003
                    Rain Dog wrote:

                    > On Sunday, November 2, 2003, at 04:32 AM, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                    >
                    > > Unfortunately, Darwin is not completely Unix. For example, resource
                    > > forks in files can only be handled by Darwin code. And the compiler is
                    > > different, the precompiled header warnings are sometimes annoying.
                    >
                    > % sudo fixPrecomps
                    >
                    > should take care of those warnings. (Thanks to macosxhints.com for
                    > this tip.)

                    Thanks for reporting the solution.

                    Perhaps we should suggest Apple to include this hint in the long list of
                    warnings?

                    --
                    Your company is doomed if your primary product is overhead transparencies.
                    (Scott Adams - The Dilbert principle)