Re: Syntax highlighting through an ssh connection

  • Kyle Lippincott
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 10, 2010
      Honestly, I like Apple's Terminal.app better as well, but if I'm doing a lot of work in vim from the mac (normally I'm on a linux box), I like to have my color scheme (requires 256 color support) and mouse support.  If Apple would just add those to Terminal.app, I don't think I'd ever use iTerm :)

      On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 3:46 PM, John Vonachen <john.vonachen@...> wrote:

      On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 4:35 PM, Kyle Lippincott <spectral@...> wrote:
      This typically indicates that TERM is not set properly.  I assume you use Terminal.app, bash, and the default 10.5 or 10.6 ssh.  This should automatically get you a 16-color terminal.  In vim on the Centos box, what do you get when you run: ":set t_Co?"  What about ":set term?"  Try setting t_Co to be 8 (it will use bold to simulate 16, which you can configure in Terminal.app's settings): ":set t_Co=8".

      Ensure of course that you have a color scheme and syntax file set: ":set ft?" to determine if the filetype was identified correctly, and ":color koehler" should work on a low-color terminal.

      If you were to use iTerm2 you would be able to have 256 colors, but that probably involves a bit more setup than the simple case listed above.

      I typed vim instead of vi.  That was it.  We aparently have more than one version of vi and one worked and the other did not.  Thanks for your efforts.   BTW - I downloaded iterm2 and tried it out and I think I like the normal Terminal better.

    • Carl Jacobsen
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 12, 2010
        On Fri, 10 Dec 2010, John Vonachen wrote:

        > I typed vim instead of vi. That was it. We aparently have more than one
        > version of vi and one worked and the other did not.

        Indeed, on our Linux systems (RHEL), "vi" gets /bin/vi, which is vim
        compiled with "tiny" features (and thus doesn't have syntax highlighting),
        while "vim" gets /usr/bin/vim, which is compiled with "huge" features and
        the Perl & Python interpreters. I suspect other Linux flavors do similar.

        Cheers,
        Carl