Re: Syntax highlighting through an ssh connection

  • Kyle Lippincott
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 10, 2010
      This typically indicates that TERM is not set properly.  I assume you use Terminal.app, bash, and the default 10.5 or 10.6 ssh.  This should automatically get you a 16-color terminal.  In vim on the Centos box, what do you get when you run: ":set t_Co?"  What about ":set term?"  Try setting t_Co to be 8 (it will use bold to simulate 16, which you can configure in Terminal.app's settings): ":set t_Co=8".

      Ensure of course that you have a color scheme and syntax file set: ":set ft?" to determine if the filetype was identified correctly, and ":color koehler" should work on a low-color terminal.

      If you were to use iTerm2 you would be able to have 256 colors, but that probably involves a bit more setup than the simple case listed above.

      On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 11:06 AM, Kaleb23 <john.vonachen@...> wrote:
      My apologies for asking for help on something which may have already
      been answered.

      I'm on a mac ssh'd into a Centos box.  On my local system vi will show
      syntax highlighting but when I shell in it does not.  I've tried to
      find an answer to this for quite a long time now.  "Syntax on" does
      not work.  I've copied the sample vimrc that came with the
      installation which is version 7.0.237 and that did not work either.  I
      would not call myself a vi newbie but I can't figure this out.  If I'm
      forced to look at badly formatted code the least they can do is let me
      see it in technicolor.

    • John Vonachen
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 10, 2010
        On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 4:35 PM, Kyle Lippincott <spectral@...> wrote:
        This typically indicates that TERM is not set properly.  I assume you use Terminal.app, bash, and the default 10.5 or 10.6 ssh.  This should automatically get you a 16-color terminal.  In vim on the Centos box, what do you get when you run: ":set t_Co?"  What about ":set term?"  Try setting t_Co to be 8 (it will use bold to simulate 16, which you can configure in Terminal.app's settings): ":set t_Co=8".

        Ensure of course that you have a color scheme and syntax file set: ":set ft?" to determine if the filetype was identified correctly, and ":color koehler" should work on a low-color terminal.

        If you were to use iTerm2 you would be able to have 256 colors, but that probably involves a bit more setup than the simple case listed above.

        I typed vim instead of vi.  That was it.  We aparently have more than one version of vi and one worked and the other did not.  Thanks for your efforts.   BTW - I downloaded iterm2 and tried it out and I think I like the normal Terminal better.

      • Kyle Lippincott

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 12, 2010
            On Fri, 10 Dec 2010, John Vonachen wrote:

            > I typed vim instead of vi. That was it. We aparently have more than one
            > version of vi and one worked and the other did not.

            Indeed, on our Linux systems (RHEL), "vi" gets /bin/vi, which is vim
            compiled with "tiny" features (and thus doesn't have syntax highlighting),
            while "vim" gets /usr/bin/vim, which is compiled with "huge" features and
            the Perl & Python interpreters. I suspect other Linux flavors do similar.

            Cheers,
            Carl