Re: Color settings for vim in a terminal

  • Edward Marczak
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 29, 2010
      On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 3:18 PM, guivho <guivho@...> wrote:
      > Hi Ed,
      >
      > Thanks for the pointer to iterm.
      > It's quite nice and solves the color problem.
      > Happily using vim in iterm now :)
      > Thanks again!

      Glad it helped. Also, don't miss iTerm's fullscreen mode.
      --
      Ed Marczak
      e: marczak@...

    • guivho
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 29, 2010
        Hi Carl,

        > As I said, complicated history, but not too difficult to set up, and then
        > you can set Terminal.app's notion of ANSI colors to work with the rest of

        Thanks for your elaborate reply. I had already switched to iTerm based
        upon Eds post, and I it works just out of the box, so I'll stick with
        it.

        > have been experimenting lately with ExpanDrive
        > (http://www.expandrive.com/mac) to let me edit remote files locally

        Too bad this is not open source. I would have loved to 'mount' remote
        microsoft ftp sites. They use a non default directory layout, and that
        causes problems to netrw as well as virtual ftp within midnight
        commander. I use FireFTP to manually get remote files, edit them in
        vim, and upload them again with fireftp. Too bad netrw and mc choke on
        the proprietary ftp layout.

        Thanks anyway, guivho.

      • Martin Lundberg
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 30, 2010
          For mounting remote file systems for local editing sshfs for osx works
          really well too: http://pqrs.org/macosx/sshfs/

          -Martin

          On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 7:52 AM, guivho <guivho@...> wrote:
          > Hi Carl,
          >
          >> As I said, complicated history, but not too difficult to set up, and then
          >> you can set Terminal.app's notion of ANSI colors to work with the rest of
          >
          > Thanks for your elaborate reply. I had already switched to iTerm based
          > upon Eds post, and I it works just out of the box, so I'll stick with
          > it.
          >
          >> have been experimenting lately with ExpanDrive
          >> (http://www.expandrive.com/mac) to let me edit remote files locally
          >
          > Too bad this is not open source. I would have loved to 'mount' remote
          > microsoft ftp sites. They use a non default directory layout, and that
          > causes problems to netrw as well as virtual ftp within midnight
          > commander. I use FireFTP to manually get remote files, edit them in
          > vim, and upload them again with fireftp. Too bad netrw and mc choke on
          > the proprietary ftp layout.
          >
          > Thanks anyway, guivho.
          >
          > --

        • guivho
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 30, 2010
            Hi Martin,

            > For mounting remote file systems for local editing sshfs for osx works
            > really well too: http://pqrs.org/macosx/sshfs/

            I am afraid that sshfs requires some cooperation at the remote end too.

            But thanx for the suggestion.

            (BTW: In the mean time, I managed to convince the remote guys to switch
            the ftp listing format to the default unix way, so now netrw works
            well...)

            guivho

          • Charles Campbell
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 30, 2010
              guivho wrote:
              [snip]
              > Too bad this is not open source. I would have loved to 'mount' remote
              > microsoft ftp sites. They use a non default directory layout, and that
              > causes problems to netrw as well as virtual ftp within midnight
              > commander. I use FireFTP to manually get remote files, edit them in
              > vim, and upload them again with fireftp. Too bad netrw and mc choke on
              > the proprietary ftp layout.

              Hello:

              Would you please send me an url for one of these problematic sites?
              I'll see what I can do with netrw to get it to work, anyway.

              Regards,
              Chip Campbell

            • guivho
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 30, 2010
                Hi Chip,

                > Would you please send me an url for one of these problematic sites? I'll
                > see what I can do with netrw to get it to work, anyway.

                I am afraid that I would have to pass on my login credentials.

                The proprietary microsoft ftp listing format is generated by the ftp
                server component of the IIS webserver. IIS is available to be installed
                and activated on any of the 'pro' os versions of ms, like XP
                Professional, and, I'm sure, also on the professional Vista ans W7
                versions.

                There is an IIS setting to use unix listing format, but that's not the
                default. My ISP forgot to reinstate this preference for me when
                upgrading to IIS7, but it has been restored now. So I am again a happy
                netrw user.

                From my old mail conversation about this with my ISP, I can show you how
                this ms layout looked like (at least in 2006):

                ~$ ftp ftp.fairytale.com
                Connected to ftp.fairytale.com.
                220 Microsoft FTP Service
                331 Password required for santaclaus.
                230 User santaclaus logged in.
                Remote system type is Windows_NT.
                ftp> ls
                200 PORT command successful.
                150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.
                11-28-05 10:47PM <DIR> humpty
                06-01-06 09:54AM <DIR> dumpty
                10-29-06 08:21PM <DIR> groupy
                07-06-06 10:30AM <DIR> basklet
                11-11-06 09:34PM <DIR> situps
                05-24-06 07:49PM <DIR> oz
                11-12-05 08:08PM <DIR> vlg
                226 Transfer complete.
                ftp>

                Chip, I hope you can find some ms box where the IIS server component is
                installed or can temporarily be activated for your testing. On the other
                hand, I think they should use the default unix format by default!

                Hope this was of any help.

                guivho.