Re: Compiling MacVim

    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 10, 2010
      On 10 November 2010 15:33, dacresni <vivacarlie@...> wrote:

      > On Nov 8, 3:31 pm, Bryan Ross <bryanjamesr...@...> wrote:
      >> No, you do not.
      >>
      >> After the make process, your MacVim.app should be in src/MacVim/build/Release/
      >>
      >> Bryan J. Ross
      >> bryanjamesr...@...
      >>
      >> On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 7:00 AM, gsieranski <gpsieran...@...> wrote:
      >> > Hi All,
      >> > I recently switched to OS X Snow Leopard from Fedora and was wondering
      >> > about building MacVim. According to the GitHub build instructions you
      >> > do the normal process of ".configure", "make". It does not mention
      >> > anything thing about "make install". Do I need to run this? Also if I
      >> > pull some updates down from git do I need to run "make uninstall" and
      >> > then rebuild the latest changes or can I just build the latest git
      >> > pull on top of what is already there? The other question I had is I do
      >> > not see any mention of "mvim" what is the best way to have access to
      >> > this. Should I create a ~/bin dir and use a symlink to the mvim that
      >> > is built when I compile MacVim?
      >>
      > now that I think about it, that last part should be mentioned in the
      > documentation. Was it on the wiki?

      The building wiki is here:

      https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/wiki/Building

      If it is lacking somehow please let me know and I'll update it.

    • dacresni
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 11, 2010
        On Nov 8, 8:00 am, gsieranski <gpsieran...@...> wrote:
        > Hi All,
        > I recently switched to OS X Snow Leopard from Fedora and was wondering
        > about building MacVim. According to the GitHub build instructions you
        > do the normal process of ".configure", "make". It does not mention
        > anything thing about "make install". Do I need to run this? Also if I
        > pull some updates down from git do I need to run "make uninstall" and
        > then rebuild the latest changes or can I just build the latest git
        > pull on top of what is already there? The other question I had is I do
        > not see any mention of "mvim" what is the best way to have access to
        > this. Should I create a ~/bin dir and use a symlink to the mvim that
        > is built when I compile MacVim?
        >
        > I appreciate any help,
        > Greg

        The Build instructions from the github wiki clearly state
        " To install MacVim, type

        $ open MacVim/build/Release

        and drag the MacVim icon into your Applications folder."
        Sense you are a linux user, here are some tips you may not know

        Mac apps aren't uninstalled persay. They don't leave a lot of state
        information laying around so you generally remove mac apps by dumping
        them in the trash. The only other state a well behaved mac app leaves
        is in /Library/Application Support and the equivilent directory in
        your Home folder.
        ~/bin is in your path i think, even if the directory is not created so
        creating one an putting the file, mvim, from the Releases folder is a
        good idea. Otherwise, the actual executable of a mac app is in $
        (appname)/Contents/MacOS/$(appname). Mac OS filesystem (HFS+)
        identifies folders as viable targets for mime types and looks at their
        extension to know what to do to open them. In the case of an
        application, the folder ends in .app so the finder executes the proper
        file and the command 'open', not to be confused with the linux command
        of the same name, will also execute the appropriate file. Man 'open'
        on Mac to see the command. Another example of this file type is
        the.xcodeproj extension. These folders are called bundles.

      • Eric Weir
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 18, 2012

          I've encountered a problem with a plugin that the developer has determined is due to a vim bug. He recommended that I get a more up to date version of vim. Currently I have MacVim 73 (53). I gather that to get the most up to date version it is necessary to compile it.

          First question is should I even attempt this? [Maybe I have no option?] I'm a naive nonprogrammer, with about a year's experience fiddling around with a variety of linux packages on a barely adequate machine before switching to the Mac enviornment. To the best of my recollection, I've never compiled anything.

          I've read the instruction on github. They're pretty straightforward, except about which options to set and whether to install the MacVim document icons. My thought regarding the first is to go with the options used in the instructions on github.

          I'm unclear about the last two items under "Enabling extra features," i.e., "universal binary" and "Mac OS X SDK version." Do I need to even bother about them?

          I'm unfamiliar with the document icons. I don't know whether I have them with my current version or not. Should they be included?

          Any cautions about things not made explicit in the instructions, taking into consideration my relative naiveté, would be appreciated.

          Thanks,
          Eric Weir
          Decatur, GA  USA

          "Imagining the other is a powerful antidote to fanaticism and hatred."

          - Amos Oz

        • Tim Gray
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 18, 2012
            On Jun 18, 2012 at 09:46 AM -0400, Eric Weir wrote:
            >I've encountered a problem with a plugin that the developer has
            >determined is due to a vim bug. He recommended that I get a more up to
            >date version of vim. Currently I have MacVim 73 (53). I gather that to
            >get the most up to date version it is necessary to compile it.

            There are more recent snapshots of MacVim. Why not download one of
            those? I think 64 is the most recent.

            For what it's worth, I build MacVim from the git source. I cloned the
            repository, cd'd into macvim/src, and configure with the following

            ./configure --with-features=huge --enable-rubyinterp \
            --enable-pythoninterp --enable-perlinterp --enable-cscope

            Then just run make. After it's done, copy the app to your Applications
            folder (after you run it to make sure it's ok). It's in
            macvim/src/MacVim/build/Release/. You probably will have to have Xcode
            installed or at least the Xcode command line tools.

            The above are essentially the instructions for building MacVim at github.
            If you don't know what other configure options you need, you probably
            don't need any - the default set in the instructions is probably enough
            for you (it is for me).

            If you are running an older version of OS X, the above should still
            work, but there could be differences.

          • Sean
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 18, 2012
              > I've encountered a problem with a plugin that the developer has determined
              > is due to a vim bug. He recommended that I get a more up to date version of
              > vim. Currently I have MacVim 73 (53). I gather that to get the most up to
              > date version it is necessary to compile it....

              I would suggest using Homebrew (http://mxcl.github.com/homebrew).
              After installing that, you need do no more than:

              brew install macvim

              "brew info macvim" tells me that the currently available version is 7.3-64.

              -sean

            • Chip Warden
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 18, 2012
                On Jun 18, 2012, at 8:46 AM, Eric Weir wrote:

                > I've encountered a problem with a plugin that the developer has determined is due to a vim bug. He recommended that I get a more up to date version of vim. Currently I have MacVim 73 (53). I gather that to get the most up to date version it is necessary to compile it.
                >
                > First question is should I even attempt this? [Maybe I have no option?] I'm a naive nonprogrammer, with about a year's experience fiddling around with a variety of linux packages on a barely adequate machine before switching to the Mac enviornment. To the best of my recollection, I've never compiled anything.
                >
                > I've read the instruction on github. They're pretty straightforward, except about which options to set and whether to install the MacVim document icons. My thought regarding the first is to go with the options used in the instructions on github.
                >
                > I'm unclear about the last two items under "Enabling extra features," i.e., "universal binary" and "Mac OS X SDK version." Do I need to even bother about them?
                >
                > I'm unfamiliar with the document icons. I don't know whether I have them with my current version or not. Should they be included?
                >
                > Any cautions about things not made explicit in the instructions, taking into consideration my relative naiveté, would be appreciated.

                Eric,

                Are you using a package manager on OS X (like MacPorts or Homebrew)? If so, the easiest way to compile MacVim is to use the package manager's tools and options. I use Homebrew, and thus compiling MacVim looks like this:

                $ brew install macvim --HEAD --custom-icons --override-system-vim

                I run this command every month or so and I am guaranteed to have the most up-to-date MacVim and Vim (really, MacVim is a GUI interface to standard Vim -- not taking anything away from Bjorn's awesome work).

                I realized this adds an extra level of software to the process, but using a package manager makes compiling things so much easier.

                Chip Warden

              • Bee
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 18, 2012
                  On Jun 18, 6:46 am, Eric Weir <eew...@...> wrote:
                  > I've encountered a problem with a plugin that the developer
                  > has determined is due to a vim bug. He recommended that I get
                  > a more up to date version of vim. Currently I have MacVim 73
                  > (53). I gather that to get the most up to date version it is
                  > necessary to compile it.

                  >On May 29, 11:51 am, Alex Lovell-Troy <farmk...@...> wrote:
                  >> *NEW Snow Leopard Build of MacVim available*
                  >>
                  >> It's been a couple of weeks and I haven't heard of a new
                  >> snapshot being ready, but to make sure I can still build on
                  >> this old laptop, I fixed the bug and uploaded a new build to
                  >> github.
                  >>
                  >> https://github.com/alexlovelltroy/macvim/downloads
                  >>
                  >> For those of you not interested in using the built-in python
                  >> interpreter, there's no reason to switch. Of course, I'm
                  >> sure there are at least a few of you for which this will make
                  >> life slightly easier.
                  >>
                  >> -alex

                  If you do not want to compile, download the MacVim on
                  Alex's git site. I have been using it for several weeks.

                  MacVim-snapshot-64-OSX-10_6.tbz
                  Snapshot 64 with python path bug fixed

                  Bill

                • Eric Weir
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 19, 2012
                    On Jun 18, 2012, at 2:58 PM, Tim Gray wrote:

                    > For what it's worth, I build MacVim from the git source. I cloned the repository, cd'd into macvim/src, and configure with the following options:
                    > ./configure --with-features=huge --enable-rubyinterp \
                    > --enable-pythoninterp --enable-perlinterp --enable-cscope
                    >
                    > Then just run make. After it's done, copy the app to your Applications folder (after you run it to make sure it's ok). It's in macvim/src/MacVim/build/Release/. You probably will have to have Xcode installed or at least the Xcode command line tools.
                    >
                    > The above are essentially the instructions for building MacVim at github. If you don't know what other configure options you need, you probably don't need any - the default set in the instructions is probably enough for you (it is for me).

                    Thanks, Tim. It really doesn't sound all that difficult. And the options you set are the ones I was clearest about.

                    That said, I took the chicken way out and installed a copy of snapshot 64 precompiled for Snow Leopard brought to my attention by Bill [bee]. When I have a little less on my plate I may give compiling a whirl, though.

                    Unclear about Xcode. Encountered other mentions of it in exploring compiling. What does it do? I have Snow Leopard on a late 2009 vintage MacBook. I keep Snow Leopard up to date. Might I have it already? If not, where would I get it?

                    Thanks again,
                    Eric Weir
                    Decatur, GA
                    eeweir@...

                    "Style is truth."

                    - Ray Bradbury

                  • Eric Weir
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 19, 2012
                      On Jun 18, 2012, at 3:03 PM, Chip Warden wrote:

                      > Are you using a package manager on OS X (like MacPorts or Homebrew)? If so, the easiest way to compile MacVim is to use the package manager's tools and options. I use Homebrew, and thus compiling MacVim looks like this:
                      >
                      > $ brew install macvim --HEAD --custom-icons --override-system-vim
                      >
                      > I run this command every month or so and I am guaranteed to have the most up-to-date MacVim and Vim (really, MacVim is a GUI interface to standard Vim -- not taking anything away from Bjorn's awesome work).
                      >
                      > I realized this adds an extra level of software to the process, but using a package manager makes compiling things so much easier.

                      Thanks, Chip. No, I haven't been using a package manager. Once in seeking help on the Apple forums---I don't remember what the issue was---I was admonished to avoid them---don't remember the reason give either. Have any idea what that's all about?

                      Eric Weir
                      Decatur, GA
                      eeweir@...

                      "We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors,
                      we borrow it from our children."

                      - Chief Seattle.

                    • Eric Weir
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 19, 2012
                        On Jun 18, 2012, at 2:58 PM, Sean wrote:

                        > I would suggest using Homebrew (http://mxcl.github.com/homebrew).
                        > After installing that, you need do no more than:
                        >
                        > brew install macvim
                        >
                        > "brew info macvim" tells me that the currently available version is 7.3-64.

                        Thanks, Sean. As in my response to Chip, I've been admonished, on an Apple forum, to avoid Homebrew and things like it. Don't recall what the reasons were, if any were given. But not understanding I've taken the safe way out and avoided them. Plus, I've never had occasion to use them. Never had any difficulty getting or installing software.

                        Eric Weir
                        Program and Resource Development ~ Evaluation ~ Writing
                        Education ~ The Environment ~ Community Development
                        1111 Clairemont Avenue J3 ~ Decatur, GA 30030
                        404-636-6142 ~ eeweir@...

                      • Eric Weir
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 19, 2012
                          On Jun 18, 2012, at 9:48 PM, Bee wrote:

                          > If you do not want to compile, download the MacVim on
                          > Alex's git site. I have been using it for several weeks.
                          >
                          > MacVim-snapshot-64-OSX-10_6.tbz
                          > Snapshot 64 with python path bug fixed

                          Already responded on vim_use, Bill, but I've installed it.

                          Eric Weir
                          Decatur, GA
                          eeweir@...

                          "What does it mean...that the world is so beautiful?"

                          - Mary Oliver

                        • Tim Gray
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 19, 2012
                            On Jun 19, 2012 at 10:14 AM -0400, Eric Weir wrote:
                            >Unclear about Xcode. Encountered other mentions of it in exploring
                            >compiling. What does it do? I have Snow Leopard on a late 2009 vintage
                            >MacBook. I keep Snow Leopard up to date. Might I have it already? If
                            >not, where would I get it?

                            Xcode contains the compiler you will need to compile programs, either by
                            hand or with a package manager. You probably do not have it if you
                            haven't installed it. You get it from Apple. Either in the App store
                            or from the Developer website. I'm not sure if the App store works on
                            10.6, of if the Xcode found there is compatible with 10.6. There is a
                            package somewhere on the Apple website with just the command line tools
                            needed for compiling, but I don't remember the link or name, and also
                            don't know if it's compatible with 10.6.

                            As far as package managers go, I wouldn't avoid them if they offer you
                            tools that you want. I used macports and fink years ago to complement
                            programs I had manually compiled and installed, but I see no reason not
                            to use Homebrew now. It's matured greatly over the last couple of years
                            and more or less just works now. It's also designed for minimal
                            disturbance of the OS X ecosystem, so I see no reason to stay away.
                            That being said, I'm not sure if it still supports 10.6. Look at the
                            brew installation instructions for more detail:

                            https://github.com/mxcl/homebrew/wiki/Installation

                          • Eric Weir
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 19, 2012
                              On Jun 19, 2012, at 11:23 AM, Tim Gray wrote:

                              > Xcode contains the compiler you will need to compile programs, either by hand or with a package manager. You probably do not have it if you haven't installed it. You get it from Apple. Either in the App store or from the Developer website. I'm not sure if the App store works on 10.6, of if the Xcode found there is compatible with 10.6. There is a package somewhere on the Apple website with just the command line tools needed for compiling, but I don't remember the link or name, and also don't know if it's compatible with 10.6.

                              Thanks, Tim. That's very helpful. I'm considering purchasing a new MacBook in a couple months or so. Either that or I'll upgrade to Mountain Lion. I may hold off getting a copy of Xcode till I do one or the other.

                              > As far as package managers go, I wouldn't avoid them if they offer you tools that you want. I used macports and fink years ago to complement programs I had manually compiled and installed, but I see no reason not to use Homebrew now. It's matured greatly over the last couple of years and more or less just works now. It's also designed for minimal disturbance of the OS X ecosystem, so I see no reason to stay away. That being said, I'm not sure if it still supports 10.6. Look at the brew installation instructions for more detail:

                              And thanks for this, too. Your comment about Homebrew minimizing "disturbance to the OS X ecosystem" reminds me that that was what was behind the negative comments about package managers---I think MacPorts and Homebrew were mentioned---on the Apple forum.

                              I'll check out the installation instructions and keep it in mind for the future.

                              Sincerely,
                              Eric Weir