Re: Feature request - Paste from Mac OS clipboard in replace mode

  • Niklas Lindström
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 8 2:10 PM
      Hi Dan,

      On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 4:01 PM, DanM <danmichaelo@...> wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > When pasting text from the Mac OS clipboard, it seems like MacVim
      > always go into insert mode.
      > Would it be possible, if already in replace mode, to remain in replace
      > mode while pasting the text?

      I suppose you use <D-V> to paste from the clipboard here? Try using
      the register * instead (:help "*). With registers, you can yank and
      paste using regular Vim behavior. Specifically in insert and replace
      mode, use <C-R>* (:help i_CTRL-R). I hope that's what you're looking
      for.

      Best regards,
      Niklas

    • DanM
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 9 8:29 AM
        On Nov 8, 11:10 pm, Niklas Lindström <lindstr...@...> wrote:

        > On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 4:01 PM, DanM <danmicha...@...> wrote:
        >
        > > When pasting text from the Mac OS clipboard, it seems like MacVim
        > > always go into insert mode.
        > > Would it be possible, if already in replace mode, to remain in replace
        > > mode while pasting the text?
        >
        > I suppose you use <D-V> to paste from the clipboard here? Try using
        > the register * instead (:help "*). With registers, you can yank and
        > paste using regular Vim behavior. Specifically in insert and replace
        > mode, use <C-R>* (:help i_CTRL-R). I hope that's what you're looking
        > for.

        Yes, that's exactly what I was looking for! Thanks alot for pointing
        this out Niklas!
        I just didn't think of registers, and I had never used the * register
        before.

        Dan Michael

      • Niklas Lindström
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 9 10:18 AM
          On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 5:29 PM, DanM <danmichaelo@...> wrote:

          >> I suppose you use <D-V> to paste from the clipboard here? Try using
          >> the register * instead (:help "*). With registers, you can yank and
          >> paste using regular Vim behavior. Specifically in insert and replace
          >> mode, use <C-R>* (:help i_CTRL-R). I hope that's what you're looking
          >> for.
          >
          > Yes, that's exactly what I was looking for! Thanks alot for pointing
          > this out Niklas!
          > I just didn't think of registers, and I had never used the * register
          > before.

          Happy to help! :)

          Cheers,
          Niklas