Feature request - Paste from Mac OS clipboard in replace mode

  • DanM
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 8, 2010

      When pasting text from the Mac OS clipboard, it seems like MacVim
      always go into insert mode.
      Would it be possible, if already in replace mode, to remain in replace
      mode while pasting the text?

      My motivation for this is the following:

      When creating tables in LaTeX I find it useful to first create the
      table structure with fixed width columns:
      & & &
      & & &
      & & &
      & & &
      & & &
      Then I enter the data in replace mode in order to keep the column
      widths fixed. However, I haven't found a way to paste text in replace
      mode.

      Dan Michael

    • Niklas Lindström
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 8, 2010
        Hi Dan,

        On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 4:01 PM, DanM <danmichaelo@...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > When pasting text from the Mac OS clipboard, it seems like MacVim
        > always go into insert mode.
        > Would it be possible, if already in replace mode, to remain in replace
        > mode while pasting the text?

        I suppose you use <D-V> to paste from the clipboard here? Try using
        the register * instead (:help "*). With registers, you can yank and
        paste using regular Vim behavior. Specifically in insert and replace
        mode, use <C-R>* (:help i_CTRL-R). I hope that's what you're looking
        for.

        Best regards,
        Niklas

      • DanM
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 9, 2010
          On Nov 8, 11:10 pm, Niklas Lindström <lindstr...@...> wrote:

          > On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 4:01 PM, DanM <danmicha...@...> wrote:
          >
          > > When pasting text from the Mac OS clipboard, it seems like MacVim
          > > always go into insert mode.
          > > Would it be possible, if already in replace mode, to remain in replace
          > > mode while pasting the text?
          >
          > I suppose you use <D-V> to paste from the clipboard here? Try using
          > the register * instead (:help "*). With registers, you can yank and
          > paste using regular Vim behavior. Specifically in insert and replace
          > mode, use <C-R>* (:help i_CTRL-R). I hope that's what you're looking
          > for.

          Yes, that's exactly what I was looking for! Thanks alot for pointing
          this out Niklas!
          I just didn't think of registers, and I had never used the * register
          before.

          Dan Michael

        • Niklas Lindström
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 9, 2010
            On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 5:29 PM, DanM <danmichaelo@...> wrote:

            >> I suppose you use <D-V> to paste from the clipboard here? Try using
            >> the register * instead (:help "*). With registers, you can yank and
            >> paste using regular Vim behavior. Specifically in insert and replace
            >> mode, use <C-R>* (:help i_CTRL-R). I hope that's what you're looking
            >> for.
            >
            > Yes, that's exactly what I was looking for! Thanks alot for pointing
            > this out Niklas!
            > I just didn't think of registers, and I had never used the * register
            > before.

            Happy to help! :)

            Cheers,
            Niklas