I'm getting two spaces after typing a comma.

  • Luis
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 7, 2010
      Hello,
      I may have done this accidentally while editing my vimrc file but I
      can’t seem to figure out where. Every time I type a comma and hit the
      space bar I get two spaces instead of one. I’m very new to Vim and
      realize this is not exactly an interesting problem but it is annoying
      me to no end.

      Any ideas? Thank you.
      Luis

    • David Turetsky
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 7, 2010
        Did you save a copy of vimrc before commencing modifications? Or did your system automatically generate an earlier version?

        If so, then you can back in your modifications to a copy of the unmodified vimrc one at a time, or a section at a time, until you reintroduce the problem, which should point you to the error, or use some variations on that approach

        If not, then you have discovered why it is a good idea to keep backup files

        --
        David

        On Nov 7, 2010, at 2:36 PM, Luis wrote:

        > Hello,
        > I may have done this accidentally while editing my vimrc file but I
        > can’t seem to figure out where. Every time I type a comma and hit the
        > space bar I get two spaces instead of one. I’m very new to Vim and
        > realize this is not exactly an interesting problem but it is annoying
        > me to no end.
        >
        > Any ideas? Thank you.
        > Luis
        >
        > --

      • Luis Roca
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 8, 2010
          Thank you David. I did a number of modifications to make Vim more "Perl friendly". Actually I did a LOT of modifications overall. I made certain to add anything new to the bottom of the original vimrc file. There must be two attributes that are conflicting — maybe? I do still have the backup so I'll have to try your suggestion today.

          Thank you.
          Luis