Re: Use of maps in MacVim

  • Barrie Stott
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2010
      On 30 Oct 2010, at 14:11, björn wrote:

      > On 30 October 2010 12:23, Barrie Stott <zen146410@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> This is becoming a saga. Here's the current problem.
      >>
      >> I have available something called a Keyboard Viewer that can be shown or hidden. When I show it, I get a picture of my Apple Wireless Keyboard. The second row from the top, 4th key shows a 3. Touching the shift key changes this position on the Keyboard Viewer to £ and touching the Alt key changes it to #.
      >>
      >> In a terminal, typing one of {3, <S-3>, <M-3>} gives the corresponding one of {3, £, #}. However, in MacVim, the last one is a superscript-3 (I don't know how to type it in my mailer). I want to be able to type printable characters in MacVim just as I do in a terminal, if necessary by creating some maps.
      >>
      >> It is possible with :digraphs to find how to map from superscript-3 to #, etc. I've done it for a few characters but it's a long-winded affair. Is there a simpler way?
      >>
      >> If there is no simpler way, does anyone know the name of the file that is used for :digraph. It would be much simpler to work with a printed version.
      >
      > If you want to get the same keys as are shown in the keyboard viewer
      > then you need to disable the 'macmeta' option.

      Thanks for this but I'll pass! The number of characters available without macmeta is large, about 47x2 at a quick count, and I know no way of getting them other than using maps or :digraphs. However, macmeta is so useful and the number of characters I'm likely to use is small. I simply have a bigger job than I wanted but I'll get used to what I have to do.

      Barrie.