Carbonized VIM

  • Ammon Skidmore
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 11, 2000
      Hello,

      I'm proud to announce the preliminary carbonization of the macvim
      sources. I have not announced this anywhere else yet because I'd
      like all of your approval first, being new to this list and all. The
      changes I made are based on the unpatched 5.7 dist.

      I have been unable to personally test it under Mac OS X, since I
      <ahem> don't actually have hardware that supports OS X yet (I do have
      the beta cds -- benefits of being a student developer). This port is
      sort of a look to the future. It works great under OS 8.6 with
      CarbonLib 1.0.4.

      Binary download, with changed sources and new CodeWarrior IDE 6
      project file can be gotten from:
      http://www.skidperfect.com/vim/vimCarbon_5.7_prelim.sit.bin

      The source may require stuff only defined in the Universal Interfaces
      3.3.2, I'm not sure. Regarding the use of CodeWarrior, do any of you
      still use it -- or have you moved to MPW? I've never gotten around
      to figuring out MPW.

      I tried to stick to only carbonization changes. In the process, I
      cleaned up a little of the code, and noticed a few odd things that I
      need to investigate to see if they are a bug or a feature :) (For
      instance, why saving new files with the save dialog uses the icon
      positioning of the last open-dialog-opened file.)

      Another thing: there was one aspect of macvim that I didn't port to
      Carbon. The hooking into the System Help menu. Apple is still
      defining it's new help manager interfaces, so it's not clear what to
      do here. There must be a solution though, because CW 6 uses the Help
      menu just fine (CW 6 is completely carbonized).

      enjoy,
      -Ammon
      --
      Skidperfect Software <http://www.skidperfect.com/>
    • Bram Moolenaar
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 11, 2000
        Ammon Skidmore wrote:

        > I'm proud to announce the preliminary carbonization of the macvim
        > sources. I have not announced this anywhere else yet because I'd
        > like all of your approval first, being new to this list and all. The
        > changes I made are based on the unpatched 5.7 dist.

        Ehm, I don't know what Carbon is...

        If this should be included in the Vim 6.0 version, perhaps you can send me a
        diff (for the sources and documentation). You should make the diff relative
        to 6.0 though, since the Mac files have changed since version 5.7, and I can't
        test the result of including a patch.

        238. You think faxes are old-fashioned.

      • Ammon Skidmore
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 11, 2000
          >Ehm, I don't know what Carbon is...

          Short: Carbon allows Mac apps to run natively under Mac OS X (Apple's
          forthcoming OS based on BSD and the Mach microkernal). So, a
          Carbonized VIM is really just a port to a whole other OS. Now the
          list of VIM ports can include Mac OS X. (Note, the carbonized
          version can also run under Mac OS 8.6 and 9 if you install the freely
          available "CarbonLib" system extension.)

          Long: Carbon is an API from Apple that is based on the classic mac
          toolbox. Basically, Apple cleaned up the API and added some new
          calls to make things reentrant and not require poking around in low
          memory. This allows developers to "easily" port their old apps to OS
          X. Note that by Mac OS X I'm talking about the yet to be released
          client version. The currently available "Mac OS X Server" OS is a
          different beast, and doesn't use Carbon.

          I hope that all made sense.

          >If this should be included in the Vim 6.0 version, perhaps you can send me a
          >diff (for the sources and documentation). You should make the diff relative
          >to 6.0 though, since the Mac files have changed since version 5.7, and I can't
          >test the result of including a patch.

          Yes, it should definitely be included in Vim 6. I'll work on
          building the beta on my machine and then I'll send you a diff (may
          take a week though given time). I've never used a diff program on
          the mac. Can I do this with MPW, or should I just use UNIX?

          As there currently is a need for VIM under Mac OS X, I'd like to be
          able to release my Carbonized Vim 5.7 to the public (once I improve a
          couple more things). Is this acceptable? Can I just post my own
          binary on my web page?

          -Ammon
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 12, 2000
            Ammon Skidmore wrote:

            Thanks for the explanation of Carbon.

            > Yes, it should definitely be included in Vim 6. I'll work on
            > building the beta on my machine and then I'll send you a diff (may
            > take a week though given time). I've never used a diff program on
            > the mac. Can I do this with MPW, or should I just use UNIX?

            Isn't there a "diff" command for the Mac? Someone must have ported it.
            Otherwise do this on a Unix system. Please use "diff -c" or "diff -u" to get
            some context.

            > As there currently is a need for VIM under Mac OS X, I'd like to be
            > able to release my Carbonized Vim 5.7 to the public (once I improve a
            > couple more things). Is this acceptable? Can I just post my own
            > binary on my web page?

            Sure, feel free to make a modified 5.7 for this purpose. Just make clear
            which changes it includes. And since you're going to send me a diff, you
            comply to the Vim license as explained at ":help copying".

            249. You've forgotten what the outside looks like.