Debug mode

  • Axel
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 7, 2010

      being new to MacVim (but not to GVim ;-) I'm wondering if there is a
      debug mode for vi (usually started with vi -D).

      Axel

    • John Beckett
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 7, 2010
        Axel wrote:
        > being new to MacVim (but not to GVim ;-) I'm wondering if
        > there is a debug mode for vi (usually started with vi -D).

        It's "verbose" (different from the :verbose command I just
        mentioned in another thread, although similar intent).

        :help 'verbose'
        :help -V

        John

      • Axel
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 8, 2010
          Thanks (once more), John, I'll give that a try.

          Best regards

          Axel

        • Axel
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 8, 2010
            Hi John,

            unfortunately neither of "-V", and "-D" works here.

            Have you tried these commands yourself? Do they work in your
            installation?

            Best regards

            Axel

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 8, 2010
              On 8 October 2010 15:31, Axel <axel.bender@...> wrote:

              > unfortunately neither of "-V", and "-D" works here.
              >
              > Have you tried these commands yourself? Do they work in your
              > installation?

              How did you try to use them? (They work for me.) The correct way to
              invoke MacVim from Terminal is (assuming you've put MacVim in
              /Applications):

              /Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g

              or use the "mvim" script which comes bundled with the MacVim download.
              This is explained under ":h macvim-start".

            • Axel
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 12, 2010
                @Björn

                Thanks for the info. The point however seems to be MacVim itself. When
                calling MacVim directly, like

                .../MacVim -D

                it will completely ignore -V or -D. This only seems to work with Vim,
                as in

                .../Vim -D.

                no matter if I specify -g or not. I think this should be noted in the
                help.