can not configure: ncurses linking fails?

  • ksamdev
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 4, 2010
      HI,

      I do not have ROOT (SUDO) privileges on my office computer. Therefore
      I installed vim 7.2 locally into:

      ~/Applications

      It works fine. Now, I'd like to upgrade to v7.3 and it does not work
      because of ncurses library that is missing on my computer.

      So, I downloaded ncurses-dev and installed into:

      ~/Applications/ncurses

      When I try to configure vim 7.3:

      ./configure --enable-gui=no --without-x -with-features=huge --prefix=
      $HOME/Applications/vim --with-tlib=$HOME/Applications/ncurses

      I get error:

      checking whether stack_t has an ss_base field... no
      checking --with-tlib argument... /my/home/folder/Applications/ncurses
      checking for linking with /my/home/folder/Applications/ncurses
      library... configure: error: FAILED

      What is wrong?

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 5, 2010
        On 4 October 2010 22:21, ksamdev <ksamdev@...> wrote:
        > HI,
        >
        > I do not have ROOT (SUDO) privileges on my office computer. Therefore
        > I installed vim 7.2 locally into:
        >
        > ~/Applications
        >
        > It works fine. Now, I'd like to upgrade to v7.3 and it does not work
        > because of ncurses library that is missing on my computer.
        >
        > So, I downloaded ncurses-dev and installed into:
        >
        > ~/Applications/ncurses
        >
        > When I try to configure vim 7.3:
        >
        > ./configure --enable-gui=no --without-x -with-features=huge --prefix=
        > $HOME/Applications/vim --with-tlib=$HOME/Applications/ncurses
        >
        > I get error:
        >

        > checking whether stack_t has an ss_base field... no
        > checking --with-tlib argument... /my/home/folder/Applications/ncurses
        > checking for linking with /my/home/folder/Applications/ncurses
        > library... configure: error: FAILED
        >
        > What is wrong?

        You are not the first to have problems with ncurses. As far as I can
        tell the problems usually appear because of multiple versions being
        installed. Why did you download ncurses instead of using the version
        that comes with OS X? You shouldn't have to specify "--with-tlib".

        Instead of building your own version it may be easier to just download
        the latest MacVim build [1] and put that in your /Applications folder.
        Then create an alias to "/Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim"
        and you can use it without the GUI.

        Björn

        [1] http://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/downloads

      • ksamdev
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 5, 2010
          Thanks for reply.

          I am working on Linux machine and the problem was resolved recently.