Re: Width of graphical tabs should expand

  • Gabe da Silveira
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 3, 2010
      On Oct 3, 2:06 am, björn <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:

      > defaults write org.vim.MacVim MMTabOptimumWidth 500
      > defaults write org.vim.MacVim MMTabMaxWidth 800

      Okay, thanks for the pointer, this definitely helps. I can at least
      improve my situation with MMTabOptimumWidth. From my testing it
      appears that MMTabMaxWidth and MMTabMinWidth don't have any effect at
      all which I suppose is inline with your further explanation:

      > The PSMTabBarControl framework that MacVim uses does support setting
      > all tabs to fit the tab label length but it worked poorly and so was
      > disabled way back (if I remember correctly).  However this is also
      > more in line with how Safari tabs work (whether that is a good or a
      > bad thing is debatable, but as a rule of thumb I try to follow the
      > behavior of Apple apps).

      I would definitely be in support of adding this as a hidden default
      that people such as myself can turn on. Who knows, maybe the issues
      have been cleaned up in newer versions of OS X. As far as following
      Apple's standard behavior, I'm in full agreement as long attention is
      paid to applying the standards correctly. In the case of Safari vs
      TextMate style tabs, I'd say they both get their respective use case
      correct. The difference in a text editor is that filenames tend to be
      shorter with fewer outliers compared to HTML titles and URLs. For a
      programmer I think additional metrics apply such as greater likelihood
      of common prefixes, and greater utility of maximizing the quantity of
      onscreen tabs.

      Anyway, just food for thought. Thanks for the response.

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 4, 2010
        On 3 October 2010 20:37, Gabe da Silveira <gabriel.d@...> wrote:
        > On Oct 3, 2:06 am, björn <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:
        >
        >> The PSMTabBarControl framework that MacVim uses does support setting
        >> all tabs to fit the tab label length but it worked poorly and so was
        >> disabled way back (if I remember correctly).  However this is also
        >> more in line with how Safari tabs work (whether that is a good or a
        >> bad thing is debatable, but as a rule of thumb I try to follow the
        >> behavior of Apple apps).
        >
        > I would definitely be in support of adding this as a hidden default
        > that people such as myself can turn on.  Who knows, maybe the issues
        > have been cleaned up in newer versions of OS X.

        Unfortunately, it won't have changed -- the problem is with the
        PSMTabBarControl framework and this hasn't been updated since it was
        first included in MacVim. In order to get "proportional" tabs to work
        somebody would have to fix this bug (and I don't want to touch the
        PSMTabBarControl source code, so ...).

        If it worked I would have probably left it on but since it was buggy I
        was forced to disable it.