Re: Width of graphical tabs should expand

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 3, 2010
      On 3 October 2010 06:58, Gabe da Silveira <gabriel.d@...> wrote:
      > I've been very pleased with the modern vim tools and the transition is
      > going pretty well.  There's one little pet peeve so far, however.  The
      > GUI tabs are all fixed width, unlike the terminal VIM tabs or the
      > TextMate tabs which grow to the size of the filename.  This is
      > probably a non-issue for some, but in my case it's not uncommon to
      > have half a dozen or more files with the same 15-char prefix (ie. what
      > fits on the standard tab), which makes tabs surprisingly unusable.
      > What are the chances of getting tabs that auto-size to the length of
      > the filename?

      You can change the default tab size by setting some user defaults
      (listed under ":h user-defaults"). To make the default size bigger
      you need to set the "optimum" size as well as the maximum size. Open
      up Terminal.app and type, e.g.

      defaults write org.vim.MacVim MMTabOptimumWidth 500
      defaults write org.vim.MacVim MMTabMaxWidth 800

      The PSMTabBarControl framework that MacVim uses does support setting
      all tabs to fit the tab label length but it worked poorly and so was
      disabled way back (if I remember correctly). However this is also
      more in line with how Safari tabs work (whether that is a good or a
      bad thing is debatable, but as a rule of thumb I try to follow the
      behavior of Apple apps).

    • Gabe da Silveira
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 3, 2010
        On Oct 3, 2:06 am, björn <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:

        > defaults write org.vim.MacVim MMTabOptimumWidth 500
        > defaults write org.vim.MacVim MMTabMaxWidth 800

        Okay, thanks for the pointer, this definitely helps. I can at least
        improve my situation with MMTabOptimumWidth. From my testing it
        appears that MMTabMaxWidth and MMTabMinWidth don't have any effect at
        all which I suppose is inline with your further explanation:

        > The PSMTabBarControl framework that MacVim uses does support setting
        > all tabs to fit the tab label length but it worked poorly and so was
        > disabled way back (if I remember correctly).  However this is also
        > more in line with how Safari tabs work (whether that is a good or a
        > bad thing is debatable, but as a rule of thumb I try to follow the
        > behavior of Apple apps).

        I would definitely be in support of adding this as a hidden default
        that people such as myself can turn on. Who knows, maybe the issues
        have been cleaned up in newer versions of OS X. As far as following
        Apple's standard behavior, I'm in full agreement as long attention is
        paid to applying the standards correctly. In the case of Safari vs
        TextMate style tabs, I'd say they both get their respective use case
        correct. The difference in a text editor is that filenames tend to be
        shorter with fewer outliers compared to HTML titles and URLs. For a
        programmer I think additional metrics apply such as greater likelihood
        of common prefixes, and greater utility of maximizing the quantity of
        onscreen tabs.

        Anyway, just food for thought. Thanks for the response.

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 4, 2010
          On 3 October 2010 20:37, Gabe da Silveira <gabriel.d@...> wrote:
          > On Oct 3, 2:06 am, björn <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:
          >
          >> The PSMTabBarControl framework that MacVim uses does support setting
          >> all tabs to fit the tab label length but it worked poorly and so was
          >> disabled way back (if I remember correctly).  However this is also
          >> more in line with how Safari tabs work (whether that is a good or a
          >> bad thing is debatable, but as a rule of thumb I try to follow the
          >> behavior of Apple apps).
          >
          > I would definitely be in support of adding this as a hidden default
          > that people such as myself can turn on.  Who knows, maybe the issues
          > have been cleaned up in newer versions of OS X.

          Unfortunately, it won't have changed -- the problem is with the
          PSMTabBarControl framework and this hasn't been updated since it was
          first included in MacVim. In order to get "proportional" tabs to work
          somebody would have to fix this bug (and I don't want to touch the
          PSMTabBarControl source code, so ...).

          If it worked I would have probably left it on but since it was buggy I
          was forced to disable it.