Re: FuzzyFinder and error E806: using Float as a String

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 27, 2010
      On 27 September 2010 09:25, Peter Krantz <peter.krantz@...> wrote:
      > Hi!
      >
      > First of all I would like to thank Björn for making Macvim available.
      >
      > I was trying to use FuzzyFinder [1] in Macvim 7.3 (on OSX 10.6.4) and
      > received multiple errors relating to floating point numbers in
      > FuzzyFinders source ("E806: using Float as a String"). The error can
      > be reproduced by trying :let s = 0.5 in Macvim which results in the
      > same error.
      >
      > This happens if I launch Macvim by double-clicking the icon in Finder.
      > If I launch Macvim form the terminal with the mvim command the error
      > disappears. My locale settings in the terminal is:
      >
      > $ locale
      > LANG="sv_SE.UTF-8"
      > LC_COLLATE="sv_SE.UTF-8"
      > LC_CTYPE="sv_SE.UTF-8"
      > LC_MESSAGES="sv_SE.UTF-8"
      > LC_MONETARY="sv_SE.UTF-8"
      > LC_NUMERIC="sv_SE.UTF-8"
      > LC_TIME="sv_SE.UTF-8"
      > LC_ALL=
      >
      > In the vim :help language it says that if vim is compiled with the
      > +float feature "the LC_NUMERIC value will always be set to "C", so
      > that floating    point numbers use '.' as the decimal point". Flags for
      > my Macvim (which is the standard download) can be seen in comments to
      > [2].
      >
      > How can I make Macvim use the same locale settings as mvim in terminal
      > when I launch it from Finder? Am i misinterpreting what the +float
      > feature should do? Isn't it supposed to always make sure that dots can
      > be used for floating point numbers?
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Peter Krantz
      > http://www.opengov.se
      >
      > [1]: Version 2010-09-26: https://bitbucket.org/ns9tks/vim-fuzzyfinder/
      > [2]: http://bitbucket.org/ns9tks/vim-l9/issue/2/errors-in-l9-in-macvim-73

      Hi Peter,

      I thought this problem was related to the fact that the Ruby interface
      to Vim used to return all expression evaluations as a string but in
      7.3 it returns the "proper" value. Thus "all" plugins that use Ruby
      need to be updated for 7.3. Reading [2] I don't know if this is the
      case but it seems that the issue has been fixed anyway?

      As for your question: I have not manage to figure out how Terminal.app
      magically figures out which values to use for the locale environment
      variables. My only suggestion is that you set them explicitly in your
      ~/.profile if you want them to always have the same value.

      To be clear: Terminal.app has some heuristic for figuring out which
      locale settings to use -- these settings are not picked up even if you
      start a login shell (as MacVim does when it spawns a Vim process). So
      in order for MacVim to have the same settings as Terminal.app I would
      need to know how Terminal.app does this. If somebody could enlighten
      me on how this is done I'd be grateful.