Re: Yanking after $ motion copies carriage return

  • Brian Sullivan
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 20, 2010
      Kyle,

      Thanks for the response!

      In truth, I only verified the other behavior in Windows GVim (don't
      have a Linux install up at the moment). But that was with a fresh
      install of vim7.3 and an empty vimrc, and I saw the behavior I was
      accustomed to seeing. Since this behavior seems to not be isolated to
      the Mac version, where is the best place for me to ask my question to
      the larger Vim community?

      Brian

      On Sep 20, 2:46 pm, Kyle Lippincott <spect...@...> wrote:
      > I see this same behavior on my vim7.3 install on linux and my vim7.2 install
      > on command line snow leopard.  This seems like there's something in your
      > vimrc in the other environments that's changing this from the default.
      >  Curiously, y$ doesn't do this, just v$y   and v$y behaves strangely here,
      > because v$hy grabs up to but not including the last character, v$y grabs
      > everything and the newline.  I don't have virtualedit on..  no idea on this
      > one. :P
      >
      > On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 7:51 PM, Brian Sullivan <bmsulli...@...>wrote:
      >

      > > I've used the Linux and Windows versions of Vim in the past, but am
      > > new to MacVim.  In MacVim, when I switch to visual mode, use the $
      > > motion (highlighting from my cursor to the end of the line), and yank,
      > > when I paste the copied content, it includes the carriage return,
      > > bumping everything after the paste point down to a new line.
      >
      > > This behavior seemed unfamiliar (not to mention annoying) to me, and I
      > > verified that the other versions of Vim that I use don't behave this
      > > way.  Is there any way to change this behavior to match the other
      > > versions?
      >
      > > --
      > > You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
      > > For more information, visithttp://www.vim.org/maillist.php

    • Kyle Lippincott
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 20, 2010
        http://www.vim.org/community.php should provide a link to the vim@... mailing list.  If you run vim on windows with "vim -u NUL:" (or create an empty file and use that instead of the NUL: device), I wonder if the behavior persists?  If not, there may be something in the default vimrc for windows vim to try to make it more "windows-like" that is providing the behavior you want.  The default system vimrc I believe is normally in C:\Program Files\Vim\vim7.3\vimrc, but I haven't used windows in about 2 years now so don't quote me on that ;)