No ftdetect directory

  • Steven
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 8, 2010
      I'm running MacVim 7.3 and have some of my own custom syntax, indent,
      etc. files that I use for languages not included with Vim by default.
      I use the ftdetect folder on Windows to tell Vim how to detect these
      new filetypes. It appears to not be included in MacVim though. Last
      night in order to get Vim to recognize my file types I had to modify
      the system filetype.vim.

      I guess I should also note I don't know where exactly to stick a user
      filetype.vim (with MacVim anyway) and modifying the system one was
      easier at the moment and obviously not the correct solution.

    • Bryan Ross
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 8, 2010
        On Mac,  you'll need to make a folder named '.vim' (note the leading period), in your home folder, which is usually /Users/Joe (replace Joe with your user name, e.g: on my system it's /Users/Bryan).

        In that folder, you can put your ftdetect.vim, filetype.vim, ftdetect folder, plugin folder, etc... all the vim goodies.

        On Windows, you would put all that stuff in C:\Program Files\Vim\vimfiles

        Bryan J. Ross
        bryanjamesross@...