system vimrc file in OS X.iii (Panther)

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 27, 2003
      OS X Vimmers:

      I installed OS X.iii (Panther) yesterday. (Were it not for the
      need to upgrade my hard drive first, and the subsidiary need to get a
      Torx T9 screwdriver, I could have installed it a few hours before the
      official release. Either someone at Apple likes me, or they
      accidentally threw it into the "overnight delivery" bin even though I
      was too stingy to pay extra to get it sooner.) Eager to see my name "in
      print," I poked around to find where vim was installed. I noticed that
      Apple included a system vimrc file that, among other things, sets
      'nocompatible'. The problem is that /usr/bin/vi is a link to
      /usr/bin/vim , and users who expect traditional vi are going to be
      annoyed. Guess who will get the blame? Has anyone tried to talk Apple
      out of this? At least, use

      if v:progname != "vi"
      set nocompatible
      endif

      in the system vimrc file.

      For the curious: the version distributed with the final release of
      Panther is 6.2, apparently with no patches, normal features without GUI.

      What are our chances of getting a patched version of vim 6.2 into
      the next system update, and/or an improved system vimrc file?

      --Benji Fisher

      P.S. Lest anyone think I am making up the scenario of the "traditional"
      guy getting annoyed that 'nocompatible' is set, I should point out that
      I know from experience that Red Hat's system vimrc file, which also sets
      'nocompatible' , leads to this reaction.
    • Stephen Riehm
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 27, 2003
        Hi Benji,

        > The problem is that /usr/bin/vi is a link to
        > /usr/bin/vim , and users who expect traditional vi are going to be
        > annoyed. Guess who will get the blame? Has anyone tried to talk Apple
        > out of this?

        Has anyone actually done a poll to find out how many people using Mac
        OS really expect a "real" vi?
        Let's face it:

        - nocompatible makes life MUCH easier
        - Mac users generally LIKE having an easy life, which is (often) why
        they buy not-M$ and not-linux
        - I don't know any "nocp converts" who have ever even mentioned
        thinking about going back

        Then again, apple set bash as the default login shell... which I really
        can't understand *sigh*, but YOU try converting the unwashed masses!
        ;-)

        Steve
      • gmark@svs.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 27, 2003
          As a matter of fact, I just noticed this, and it was indeed
          annoying. However, i generally assume vim to be better than
          vi, so the only thing I need to do is turn off that feature that
          highlights all of the previously-found text strings. Or hear
          what simple thing I'm not doing that would remove those
          highlights.

          Anyone?

          Mark

          On Oct 27, 2003, at 2:00 PM, Stephen Riehm wrote:

          > Hi Benji,
          >
          >> The problem is that /usr/bin/vi is a link to
          >> /usr/bin/vim , and users who expect traditional vi are going to be
          >> annoyed. Guess who will get the blame? Has anyone tried to talk
          >> Apple
          >> out of this?
          >
          > Has anyone actually done a poll to find out how many people using Mac
          > OS really expect a "real" vi?
          > Let's face it:
          >
          > - nocompatible makes life MUCH easier
          > - Mac users generally LIKE having an easy life, which is (often) why
          > they buy not-M$ and not-linux
          > - I don't know any "nocp converts" who have ever even mentioned
          > thinking about going back
          >
          > Then again, apple set bash as the default login shell... which I
          > really can't understand *sigh*, but YOU try converting the unwashed
          > masses! ;-)
          >
          > Steve

        • Stephen Riehm
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 27, 2003
            set nohlsearch

            ? (one of my favourite features - sigh)

            On 27.10.2003, at 22:36, gmark@... wrote:

            > As a matter of fact, I just noticed this, and it was indeed
            > annoying. However, i generally assume vim to be better than
            > vi, so the only thing I need to do is turn off that feature that
            > highlights all of the previously-found text strings. Or hear
            > what simple thing I'm not doing that would remove those
            > highlights.
            >
            > Anyone?
            >
            > Mark
            >
            > On Oct 27, 2003, at 2:00 PM, Stephen Riehm wrote:
            >
            >> Hi Benji,
            >>
            >>> The problem is that /usr/bin/vi is a link to
            >>> /usr/bin/vim , and users who expect traditional vi are going to be
            >>> annoyed. Guess who will get the blame? Has anyone tried to talk
            >>> Apple
            >>> out of this?
            >>
            >> Has anyone actually done a poll to find out how many people using Mac
            >> OS really expect a "real" vi?
            >> Let's face it:
            >>
            >> - nocompatible makes life MUCH easier
            >> - Mac users generally LIKE having an easy life, which is (often) why
            >> they buy not-M$ and not-linux
            >> - I don't know any "nocp converts" who have ever even mentioned
            >> thinking about going back
            >>
            >> Then again, apple set bash as the default login shell... which I
            >> really can't understand *sigh*, but YOU try converting the unwashed
            >> masses! ;-)
            >>
            >> Steve

            Steve
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 28, 2003
              See also

              :help :nohlsearch
              :help 'viminfo'
              /hlsearch

              On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 10:43:20PM +0100, Stephen Riehm wrote:
              > set nohlsearch
              >
              > ? (one of my favourite features - sigh)
              >
              > On 27.10.2003, at 22:36, gmark@... wrote:
              >
              > >As a matter of fact, I just noticed this, and it was indeed
              > >annoying. However, i generally assume vim to be better than
              > >vi, so the only thing I need to do is turn off that feature that
              > >highlights all of the previously-found text strings. Or hear
              > >what simple thing I'm not doing that would remove those
              > >highlights.
              > >
              > >Anyone?
              > >
              > >Mark

              --Benji

              P.S. Sorry, Steve, for the duplicate. I am still training myself to the
              mutt key bindings.
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 28, 2003
                On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 09:00:51PM +0100, Stephen Riehm wrote:
                > Hi Benji,
                >
                > >The problem is that /usr/bin/vi is a link to
                > >/usr/bin/vim , and users who expect traditional vi are going to be
                > >annoyed. Guess who will get the blame? Has anyone tried to talk Apple
                > >out of this?
                >
                > Has anyone actually done a poll to find out how many people using Mac
                > OS really expect a "real" vi?
                > Let's face it:
                >
                > - nocompatible makes life MUCH easier
                > - Mac users generally LIKE having an easy life, which is (often) why
                > they buy not-M$ and not-linux
                > - I don't know any "nocp converts" who have ever even mentioned
                > thinking about going back
                >
                > Then again, apple set bash as the default login shell... which I really
                > can't understand *sigh*, but YOU try converting the unwashed masses!
                > ;-)

                A poll on the vim users' list would be useless, because it would
                not find the kind of person I have in mind: an old UNIX guy who uses
                the standard UNIX tools efficiently, hates referring to them as "POSIX"
                tools, and wants his text editor to do what he types and nothing more.
                (I know one such person myself.) Picture the scenario: his friends
                tell him how great Mac OS X is, how it is familiar "under the hood," and
                then, one day, ask him to help fix something. The first thing he does
                is start up vi and ...

                I would not mind making 'nocompatible' the default when invoking
                "vim." I just think that when someone without a vimrc file invokes "vi"
                it should start up in 'compatible' mode.

                --Benji Fisher
              • Bob Ippolito
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 28, 2003
                  On Oct 28, 2003, at 10:54 AM, Benji Fisher wrote:

                  > On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 09:00:51PM +0100, Stephen Riehm wrote:
                  >> Hi Benji,
                  >>
                  >>> The problem is that /usr/bin/vi is a link to
                  >>> /usr/bin/vim , and users who expect traditional vi are going to be
                  >>> annoyed. Guess who will get the blame? Has anyone tried to talk
                  >>> Apple
                  >>> out of this?
                  >>
                  >> Has anyone actually done a poll to find out how many people using Mac
                  >> OS really expect a "real" vi?
                  >> Let's face it:
                  >>
                  >> - nocompatible makes life MUCH easier
                  >> - Mac users generally LIKE having an easy life, which is (often) why
                  >> they buy not-M$ and not-linux
                  >> - I don't know any "nocp converts" who have ever even mentioned
                  >> thinking about going back
                  >>
                  >> Then again, apple set bash as the default login shell... which I
                  >> really
                  >> can't understand *sigh*, but YOU try converting the unwashed masses!
                  >> ;-)
                  >
                  > A poll on the vim users' list would be useless, because it would
                  > not find the kind of person I have in mind: an old UNIX guy who uses
                  > the standard UNIX tools efficiently, hates referring to them as "POSIX"
                  > tools, and wants his text editor to do what he types and nothing more.
                  > (I know one such person myself.) Picture the scenario: his friends
                  > tell him how great Mac OS X is, how it is familiar "under the hood,"
                  > and
                  > then, one day, ask him to help fix something. The first thing he does
                  > is start up vi and ...
                  >
                  > I would not mind making 'nocompatible' the default when invoking
                  > "vim." I just think that when someone without a vimrc file invokes
                  > "vi"
                  > it should start up in 'compatible' mode.

                  Ok, so you know one person. This person is probably capable of
                  creating a .vimrc that turns on compatibility mode. I don't see why
                  this is a big deal. When you type "vi" with no files to edit you can
                  clearly see that you're running vim and not vi, so with that
                  information you should be able to figure out how to make vim act like
                  vi or learn the way that vim does things.

                  -bob