Re: How to install?

  • David Patrick Henderson
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 10, 2010
      On 09 Aug 2010, at 19:32, Rascal wrote:

      > I don't see any instructions on how to install MacVim. I downloaded
      > the .tbz but I don't know how to install it. I clicked on the file.
      > It started the Archive Manager but I still can't run macvim from the
      > command line.
      >
      > I am sure I am missing something obvious. How do you install macvim
      > from the .tbz file?

      MacVim is a GUI app. The archive you downloaded and opened should have contained several files: the MacVim.app package, a command line script: mvim, and a README file. To install just drag the MacVim.app into an Applications folder. To install the mvim script put it in your PATH somewhere. To use double click the MacVim.app or from the command line type mvim or /full/path/to/mvim.

      Dave H
      --
      "Human beings are unable to be honest with themselves about themselves. They cannot talk about themselves without embellishing." -- Akira Kurosawa

    • dacresni
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 10, 2010
        i find that archive type kind of strange also. What did u decompress
        it with? I know of Archive Utility not archive manager. (http://
        en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archive_Utility)

        if you use archive utility which came with mac os x, you should get a
        folder that has the app bundle MacVim.app in it. mvim and a readme.
        putting mvim in your path should allow you to execute mvim from the
        command line and get MacVim if MacVim is put in /Applications/
        folder.

        On Aug 9, 9:32 pm, Rascal <sra...@...> wrote:
        > I don't see any instructions on how to install MacVim.  I downloaded
        > the .tbz but I don't know how to install it.  I clicked on the file.
        > It started the Archive Manager but I still can't run macvim from the
        > command line.
        >
        > I am sure I am missing something obvious.  How do you install macvim
        > from the .tbz file?

      • Douglas Drumond
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 10, 2010
          On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 12:04, dacresni <vivacarlie@...> wrote:
          > i find that archive type kind of strange also. What did u decompress
          > it with? I know of Archive Utility not archive manager. (http://
          > en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archive_Utility)

          tbz = tar + bz2
          Mac OS X's Archive Utility can decompress it or one can use tar and
          bz2 from command line (or just tar with j parameter).