Vim 7.3e ready for beta testing

  • Bram Moolenaar
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 8 1:01 PM
      Hello Vim users,

      Announcing: Vim (Vi IMproved) version 7.3e BETA

      This is a BETA release of Vim 7.3. It consists of Vim 7.2 plus all
      patches, updated runtime files and some more.

      We are getting close to the 7.3 release! If nothing goes wrong I will
      release 7.3 in less than a week. Last chance to report problems!

      The biggest additions since 7.2:
      - Persistent undo and undo for reload
      - Blowfish encryption, encryption of the swap file
      - Conceal text (note: since 7.3a 'conc' was renamed to 'cole')
      - Lua interface
      - Python 3 interface

      I will no longer include new features in 7.3, it's only testing now.

      Once you have installed Vim 7.3e BETA you can find details about the
      changes since Vim 7.2 with:
      :help version-7.3

      Testing
      -------

      Please especially test the persistent undo and encryption. These need
      to work reliably.

      Report anything that isn't right. That includes a crash but also a typo
      in the documentation and a missing file.

      Gratitude
      ---------

      If you like Vim, this is the way to say thanks:
      http://iccf-holland.org/clinic.html

      Where to get it
      ---------------

      The best way to obtain the latest Vim 7.3 is using Mercurial.
      cd vim
      hg update vim73
      More information here: http://www.vim.org/mercurial.php

      All downloadable files can be found below this directory:
      ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/

      Direct link to the MS-Windows self-installing executable:
      ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/pc/gvim73e.exe

      Information about which files to download for what system (don't use the
      links, they are still for Vim 7.2):
      http://www.vim.org/download.php

      A list of mirror sites can be found here:
      http://www.vim.org/mirrors.php

      An overview of the files below "unstable":

      UNIX:
      unix/vim-7.3e.tar.bz2 sources + runtime files, bzip2 compressed

      MS-WINDOWS one-size-fits-all:
      pc/gvim73e.exe self-installing, includes all runtime files

      VARIOUS:
      doc/vim73ehtml.zip help files converted to HTML

      MS-WINDOWS separate files:
      pc/vim73ert.zip runtime files
      pc/gvim73e.zip GUI binary for Windows 95/98/NT/2000/XP
      pc/gvim73eole.zip GUI binary with OLE support
      pc/gvim73e_s.zip GUI binary for Windows 3.1 (untested)
      pc/vim73ed32.zip console version for MS-DOS/Windows 95/98
      pc/vim73ew32.zip console version for Windows NT/2000/XP
      pc/vim73esrc.zip sources for PC (with CR-LF)

      DIFFS TO PREVIOUS RELEASE:
      unix/vim-7.3d-7.3e.diff.gz sources + runtime files

      Omitted in this version are:
      - Extra and lang archives, these are now included in the main source
      and runtime archives.
      - The 16-bit DOS, OS/2 and Amiga versions, these are obsolete.

      Mailing lists

      Subject specific lists:
      Multi-byte issues: http://www.vim.org/maillist.php#vim-multibyte
      Macintosh issues: http://www.vim.org/maillist.php#vim-mac

      Before you ask a question you should search the archives, someone may
      already have given the answer.

      Reporting bugs
      --------------

      Send them to <vim-dev@...>. Please describe the problem precisely.
      All the time spent on answering mail is subtracted from the time that is
      spent on improving Vim! Always give a reproducible example and try to
      find out which settings or other things influence the appearance of the
      bug. Try starting without your own vimrc file: "vim -u NONE". Try
      different machines if possible. See ":help bugs" in Vim. Send me a
      patch if you can!

      Happy Vimming!

      17. When the money comes out the ATM, scream "I won!, I won! 3rd
      time this week!!!!!"

      You received this message from the "vim_announce" maillist.

    • Bram Moolenaar

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 8 2:28 PM
          ...and now there is also a 7.3e build of MacVim available here:

          http://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/downloads

          Enjoy!
          Björn

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 9 12:59 PM
            On 9 August 2010 20:50, Dennis Preiser wrote:
            > björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:
            >> ...and now there is also a 7.3e build of MacVim available here:
            >>
            >> http://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/downloads
            >
            > I encountered a drawing issue with:
            >
            > | hi CursorLine gui=underline guisp=gray
            >
            > set. This should underline the current line with a gray line from the
            > left edge to the right edge. When displaying help files sometimes the
            > line stops some caracter before the right edge.
            >
            > To reproduce try ':h ls' with filetype plugin on.
            >
            > I guess this is caused by the 'concealcursor' option
            >
            > | setlocal formatoptions+=tcroql textwidth=78 cole=2 cocu=nc
            >
            > set from [...]/runtime/ftplugin/help.vim. The 'missing' part of the
            > cursorline seems to be the 'concealed' caracters.

            I recall reading a similar discussion on vim_dev ... have you searched
            its history? In any case, this is not Mac specific so if you don't
            find a solution there then please make a new post there.

            Thanks,

          • Bram Moolenaar
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 9 1:55 PM
              Dennis Preiser wrote:

              > björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:
              > > ...and now there is also a 7.3e build of MacVim available here:
              > >
              > > http://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/downloads
              >
              > I encountered a drawing issue with:
              >
              > | hi CursorLine gui=underline guisp=gray
              >
              > set. This should underline the current line with a gray line from the
              > left edge to the right edge. When displaying help files sometimes the
              > line stops some caracter before the right edge.
              >
              > To reproduce try ':h ls' with filetype plugin on.
              >
              > I guess this is caused by the 'concealcursor' option
              >
              > | setlocal formatoptions+=tcroql textwidth=78 cole=2 cocu=nc
              >
              > set from [...]/runtime/ftplugin/help.vim. The 'missing' part of the
              > cursorline seems to be the 'concealed' caracters.

              I see this problem on Unix and also in a terminal. I'll see if I can
              fix it.

              --
              If you put 7 of the most talented OSS developers in a room for a week
              and asked them to fix a bug in a spreadsheet program, in 1 week

            • Bram Moolenaar
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 15 2:17 PM
                Dennis Preiser wrote:

                > Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:
                > >> I encountered a drawing issue with:

                > >> set. This should underline the current line with a gray line from the
                > >> left edge to the right edge. When displaying help files sometimes the
                > >> line stops some caracter before the right edge.
                > >>
                > >> To reproduce try ':h ls' with filetype plugin on.
                > >>
                > >> I guess this is caused by the 'concealcursor' option

                > >> set from [...]/runtime/ftplugin/help.vim. The 'missing' part of the
                > >> cursorline seems to be the 'concealed' caracters.
                > >
                > > I see this problem on Unix and also in a terminal. I'll see if I can
                > > fix it.
                >
                > 7.3f fixes that when 'list' is not set. After ':set list' the issue
                > reappears.

                I see. Didn't expect 'list' to matter. I'll put it in the todo list.

                84. Books in your bookcase bear the names Bongo, WinSock and Inside OLE