Re: Moving into 7.3. Tracking issues, bugs, etc.

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 3, 2010
      Hi Howard,

      On 3 August 2010 08:17, H.P. Logsdon wrote:

      > I haven't yet found any major debilitating bugs, but sure hope I can track some down so the RCs will be flawless. Though, I have found some things I'd like to submit, such as the .app bundle version identifier does not yet reflect the version change in its Info.plist. Curious if you want to start to use the GitHub page to track the 7.3 beta branch, or do you still want to use the Google Code page to track the issues? Have you yet worked that out?

      I must say that I'm not overly fond of issue trackers. The
      possibility for anybody to add new issues means I have to constantly
      prune it to keep it nice and clean (the google code one is a mess at
      this moment), and often it is hard to tell if somebody has come up
      with a real issue resulting in them get littered with open issues that
      may never close. Also, people tend to abuse the issue list and ask
      questions or mistakenly report bugs that actually aren't (and often
      are covered by the vim help). In the end it adds extra work for me
      and not much good seems to come out of it.

      I prefer if issue reports/feature requests/patch submissions are made
      to this list so that other people may respond to them and in the
      process taking some of the load off me. That being said, if somebody
      has something favorable to say of issue trackers (and the GitHub one
      in particular) I may be convinced to start using them in earnest.
      Maybe I am just not using the "correctly"?

      So what was the problem with the Info.plist you mentioned?

    • Wincent Colaiuta
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 4, 2010
        On 3 ago, 17:23, björn <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:

        > On 3 August 2010 08:17, H.P. Logsdon wrote:
        >
        > I prefer if issue reports/feature requests/patch submissions are made
        > to this list so that other people may respond to them and in the
        > process taking some of the load off me.  That being said, if somebody
        > has something favorable to say of issue trackers (and the GitHub one
        > in particular) I may be convinced to start using them in earnest.
        > Maybe I am just not using the "correctly"?

        In my view, the main benefit of an issue tracker over a mailing list
        is that it provides a sortable, searchable "memory" that ensures that
        you never overlook or forget about an issue. The cost of this, as
        you've described, is the maintenance overhead (closing duplicates,
        distinguishing real bugs from support requests etc). It's up to each
        project to decide if the advantage of this "memory" is worth the
        costs.

        There are some successful open source projects out there which don't
        have issue trackers and use their mailing lists as their bug reporting
        and management mechanism. A good example is the Git project.

        Then there is a middle ground: using the mailing list as the bug
        reporting forum, and you maintaining your own internal issue tracker
        (using anything from a text file to a "To Do List" application) to
        ensure that you don't ever forget anything. I've read quite a few
        developer blog posts which reveal that there are lots of developers
        out there that work in this way.

        I personally find that the benefits of a public issue tracker outweigh
        the costs. Specifically with regards to the GitHub one, however, I
        find it to be a bit klunky. If the choice is between using the mailing
        list and using GitHub issues, I'd use the mailing list...

        Cheers,
        Wincent

      • unitepunx@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 4, 2010
          On Aug 3, 2010, at 9:23 AM, björn wrote:

          > Hi Howard,
          >
          > On 3 August 2010 08:17, H.P. Logsdon wrote:
          >>
          >> I haven't yet found any major debilitating bugs, but sure hope I can track some down so the RCs will be flawless. Though, I have found some things I'd like to submit, such as the .app bundle version identifier does not yet reflect the version change in its Info.plist. Curious if you want to start to use the GitHub page to track the 7.3 beta branch, or do you still want to use the Google Code page to track the issues? Have you yet worked that out?
          >
          > I must say that I'm not overly fond of issue trackers. The
          > possibility for anybody to add new issues means I have to constantly
          > prune it to keep it nice and clean (the google code one is a mess at
          > this moment), and often it is hard to tell if somebody has come up
          > with a real issue resulting in them get littered with open issues that
          > may never close. Also, people tend to abuse the issue list and ask
          > questions or mistakenly report bugs that actually aren't (and often
          > are covered by the vim help). In the end it adds extra work for me
          > and not much good seems to come out of it.
          >
          > I prefer if issue reports/feature requests/patch submissions are made
          > to this list so that other people may respond to them and in the
          > process taking some of the load off me. That being said, if somebody
          > has something favorable to say of issue trackers (and the GitHub one
          > in particular) I may be convinced to start using them in earnest.
          > Maybe I am just not using the "correctly"?
          >
          > So what was the problem with the Info.plist you mentioned?

          Like I said, nothing major here. It shows the version as 7.2, instead of 7.3c BETA. I only noticed that, and then became curious as to where you preferred to receive issue and bug notifications.

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 5, 2010
            On 5 August 2010 05:11, <unitepunx@...> wrote:

            > On Aug 3, 2010, at 9:23 AM, björn wrote:
            >>
            >> So what was the problem with the Info.plist you mentioned?
            >>

            > Like I said, nothing major here. It shows the version as 7.2, instead of 7.3c BETA. I only noticed that, and then became curious as to where you preferred to receive issue and bug notifications.

            Aha, thanks for reminding me...I will probably only update it once we
            get to the 7.3 release proper (my build script usually takes care of
            this).