Moving into 7.3. Tracking issues, bugs, etc.

  • H.P. Logsdon
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2, 2010
      Björn,

      I've been happily using 7.2 for some time, updating sporadically as it suits me. Thanks for all your hard work!

      This afternoon I decided to checkout and build the 7.3c Beta for kicks. I noticed that the repository moved over to GitHub for the beta, and updating my local repository to reflect the move was pleasant. The build went as smooth as I dreamed.

      I haven't yet found any major debilitating bugs, but sure hope I can track some down so the RCs will be flawless. Though, I have found some things I'd like to submit, such as the .app bundle version identifier does not yet reflect the version change in its Info.plist. Curious if you want to start to use the GitHub page to track the 7.3 beta branch, or do you still want to use the Google Code page to track the issues? Have you yet worked that out?

      Let us know how we can help the project and where to turn to.

      Thanks again,

      Howard Logsdon

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 3, 2010
        Hi Howard,

        On 3 August 2010 08:17, H.P. Logsdon wrote:

        > I haven't yet found any major debilitating bugs, but sure hope I can track some down so the RCs will be flawless. Though, I have found some things I'd like to submit, such as the .app bundle version identifier does not yet reflect the version change in its Info.plist. Curious if you want to start to use the GitHub page to track the 7.3 beta branch, or do you still want to use the Google Code page to track the issues? Have you yet worked that out?

        I must say that I'm not overly fond of issue trackers. The
        possibility for anybody to add new issues means I have to constantly
        prune it to keep it nice and clean (the google code one is a mess at
        this moment), and often it is hard to tell if somebody has come up
        with a real issue resulting in them get littered with open issues that
        may never close. Also, people tend to abuse the issue list and ask
        questions or mistakenly report bugs that actually aren't (and often
        are covered by the vim help). In the end it adds extra work for me
        and not much good seems to come out of it.

        I prefer if issue reports/feature requests/patch submissions are made
        to this list so that other people may respond to them and in the
        process taking some of the load off me. That being said, if somebody
        has something favorable to say of issue trackers (and the GitHub one
        in particular) I may be convinced to start using them in earnest.
        Maybe I am just not using the "correctly"?

        So what was the problem with the Info.plist you mentioned?

      • Wincent Colaiuta
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 4, 2010
          On 3 ago, 17:23, björn <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:

          > On 3 August 2010 08:17, H.P. Logsdon wrote:
          >
          > I prefer if issue reports/feature requests/patch submissions are made
          > to this list so that other people may respond to them and in the
          > process taking some of the load off me.  That being said, if somebody
          > has something favorable to say of issue trackers (and the GitHub one
          > in particular) I may be convinced to start using them in earnest.
          > Maybe I am just not using the "correctly"?

          In my view, the main benefit of an issue tracker over a mailing list
          is that it provides a sortable, searchable "memory" that ensures that
          you never overlook or forget about an issue. The cost of this, as
          you've described, is the maintenance overhead (closing duplicates,
          distinguishing real bugs from support requests etc). It's up to each
          project to decide if the advantage of this "memory" is worth the
          costs.

          There are some successful open source projects out there which don't
          have issue trackers and use their mailing lists as their bug reporting
          and management mechanism. A good example is the Git project.

          Then there is a middle ground: using the mailing list as the bug
          reporting forum, and you maintaining your own internal issue tracker
          (using anything from a text file to a "To Do List" application) to
          ensure that you don't ever forget anything. I've read quite a few
          developer blog posts which reveal that there are lots of developers
          out there that work in this way.

          I personally find that the benefits of a public issue tracker outweigh
          the costs. Specifically with regards to the GitHub one, however, I
          find it to be a bit klunky. If the choice is between using the mailing
          list and using GitHub issues, I'd use the mailing list...

          Cheers,
          Wincent

        • unitepunx@gmail.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 4, 2010
            On Aug 3, 2010, at 9:23 AM, björn wrote:

            > Hi Howard,
            >
            > On 3 August 2010 08:17, H.P. Logsdon wrote:
            >>
            >> I haven't yet found any major debilitating bugs, but sure hope I can track some down so the RCs will be flawless. Though, I have found some things I'd like to submit, such as the .app bundle version identifier does not yet reflect the version change in its Info.plist. Curious if you want to start to use the GitHub page to track the 7.3 beta branch, or do you still want to use the Google Code page to track the issues? Have you yet worked that out?
            >
            > I must say that I'm not overly fond of issue trackers. The
            > possibility for anybody to add new issues means I have to constantly
            > prune it to keep it nice and clean (the google code one is a mess at
            > this moment), and often it is hard to tell if somebody has come up
            > with a real issue resulting in them get littered with open issues that
            > may never close. Also, people tend to abuse the issue list and ask
            > questions or mistakenly report bugs that actually aren't (and often
            > are covered by the vim help). In the end it adds extra work for me
            > and not much good seems to come out of it.
            >
            > I prefer if issue reports/feature requests/patch submissions are made
            > to this list so that other people may respond to them and in the
            > process taking some of the load off me. That being said, if somebody
            > has something favorable to say of issue trackers (and the GitHub one
            > in particular) I may be convinced to start using them in earnest.
            > Maybe I am just not using the "correctly"?
            >
            > So what was the problem with the Info.plist you mentioned?

            Like I said, nothing major here. It shows the version as 7.2, instead of 7.3c BETA. I only noticed that, and then became curious as to where you preferred to receive issue and bug notifications.

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 5, 2010
              On 5 August 2010 05:11, <unitepunx@...> wrote:

              > On Aug 3, 2010, at 9:23 AM, björn wrote:
              >>
              >> So what was the problem with the Info.plist you mentioned?
              >>

              > Like I said, nothing major here. It shows the version as 7.2, instead of 7.3c BETA. I only noticed that, and then became curious as to where you preferred to receive issue and bug notifications.

              Aha, thanks for reminding me...I will probably only update it once we
              get to the 7.3 release proper (my build script usually takes care of
              this).