Vim 7.3c ready for beta testing

  • Bram Moolenaar
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2010
      Hello Vim users,

      Announcing: Vim (Vi IMproved) version 7.3c BETA

      This is a BETA release of Vim 7.3. It consists of Vim 7.2 plus all
      patches, updated runtime files and some more.

      7.3c both includes lots of fixes and a few new features. Everything
      needs to be tested to verify no new problems have been introduced.

      Please report every problem you find! The 7.3 release should not
      contain a problem because you didn't report it.

      The biggest additions since 7.2:
      - Persistent undo, undo for reload
      - Blowfish encryption, also encrypt the swap file
      - Conceal text (note: since 7.3a 'conc' was renamed to 'cole')
      - Lua interface
      - Python 3 interface

      I will no longer include new features in 7.3, it's only testing now.

      Once you have installed Vim 7.3c BETA you can find details about the
      changes since Vim 7.2 with:
      :help version-7.3

      Known problem: The MS-Windows self-installing executable for 7.3c does
      not delete the install key on 64 bit systems. You can remove it through
      the control panel.

      Testing
      -------

      Please especially test the persistent undo and encryption. These need
      to work reliably.

      Report anything that isn't right. That includes a crash but also a typo
      in the documentation and a missing file.

      Gratitude
      ---------

      If you like Vim, this is the way to say thanks:
      http://iccf-holland.org/clinic.html

      Where to get it
      ---------------

      The best way to obtain the latest Vim 7.3 is using Mercurial.
      cd vim
      hg update vim73
      More information here: http://www.vim.org/mercurial.php

      All downloadable files can be found below this directory:
      ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/

      Direct link to the MS-Windows self-installing executable:
      ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/pc/gvim73c.exe

      Information about which files to download for what system (don't use the
      links, they are still for Vim 7.2):
      http://www.vim.org/download.php

      A list of mirror sites can be found here:
      http://www.vim.org/mirrors.php

      An overview of the files below "unstable":

      UNIX:
      unix/vim-7.3c.tar.bz2 sources + runtime files, bzip2 compressed

      MS-WINDOWS one-size-fits-all:
      pc/gvim73c.exe self-installing, includes all runtime files

      VARIOUS:
      doc/vim73chtml.zip help files converted to HTML

      MS-WINDOWS separate files:
      pc/vim73crt.zip runtime files
      pc/gvim73c.zip GUI binary for Windows 95/98/NT/2000/XP
      pc/gvim73cole.zip GUI binary with OLE support
      pc/gvim73c_s.zip GUI binary for Windows 3.1 (untested)
      pc/vim73cd32.zip console version for MS-DOS/Windows 95/98
      pc/vim73cw32.zip console version for Windows NT/2000/XP
      pc/vim73csrc.zip sources for PC (with CR-LF)

      DIFFS TO PREVIOUS RELEASE:
      unix/vim-7.3b-7.3c.diff.gz sources + runtime files

      Omitted in this version are:
      - Extra and lang archives, these are now included in the main source
      and runtime archives.
      - The 16-bit DOS, OS/2 and Amiga versions, these are obsolete.

      Mailing lists

      Subject specific lists:
      Multi-byte issues: http://www.vim.org/maillist.php#vim-multibyte
      Macintosh issues: http://www.vim.org/maillist.php#vim-mac

      Before you ask a question you should search the archives, someone may
      already have given the answer.

      Reporting bugs
      --------------

      Send them to <vim-dev@...>. Please describe the problem precisely.
      All the time spent on answering mail is subtracted from the time that is
      spent on improving Vim! Always give a reproducible example and try to
      find out which settings or other things influence the appearance of the
      bug. Try starting without your own vimrc file: "vim -u NONE". Try
      different machines if possible. See ":help bugs" in Vim. Send me a
      patch if you can!

      Happy Vimming!

      --
      If your company is not involved in something called "ISO 9000" you probably
      have no idea what it is. If your company _is_ involved in ISO 9000 then you

      You received this message from the "vim_announce" maillist.

    • Bram Moolenaar

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1, 2010
          I wrote:

          > Hello Vim users,
          >

          > Announcing: Vim (Vi IMproved) version 7.3c BETA

          [...]

          > Known problem: The MS-Windows self-installing executable for 7.3c does
          > not delete the install key on 64 bit systems. You can remove it through
          > the control panel.

          I managed to fix this quickly. The gvim73c.exe on the ftp site already
          has the fix.

          --
          For large projects, Team Leaders use sophisticated project management software
          to keep track of who's doing what. The software collects the lies and guesses

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 1, 2010