Re: Poll: MacVim default font

  • LuKreme
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 25, 2010
      On 25-Jul-2010, at 08:04, björn wrote:

      > I was thinking of ditching DejaVu in favor of Menlo.

      Woohoo!

      Er.. I mean,

      Why yes, I think this would be a favorable decision.

      Or something.

      --
      <http://www.pvponline.com/2004/01/14/wed-jan-14/>

    • Edward Marczak
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 25, 2010
        On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 10:28 AM, LuKreme <kremels@...> wrote:
        > On 25-Jul-2010, at 08:04, björn wrote:
        >>
        >> I was thinking of ditching DejaVu in favor of Menlo.
        >
        > Woohoo!

        +1

        --
        Ed Marczak
        e: marczak@...

      • Brian McKee
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 26, 2010
          On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 2:58 PM, Dennis Preiser <spam_trap@...> wrote:
          > björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:
          >> Currently the default font for MacVim is DejaVu Sans Mono which is
          >> located inside the MacVim.app bundle.  Initially I added this font
          >> because the standard OS X monospaced font at the time (Monaco) did not
          >> have very good font variations (e.g. no bold or italic).  As of OS X
          >> 10.6 the default font (Menlo) does include these variations so I was
          >> thinking of ditching DejaVu in favor of Menlo.  This has the following
          >
          > A comparison of Menlo to DejaVu Sans Mono (character, digits, some
          > signs) can be found here:
          >
          > <http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/06/font-changes-coming-to-mac-os-x-snow-leopard.ars>

          Thanks Dennis - that makes it pretty clear.
          Go ahead and swap to menlo for consistency with Apple
          (unless you want to bundle Inconsolata instead :-)
          http://code.google.com/webfonts/family?family=Inconsolata

          Brian
          --
          Hey, it's your computer.... isn't it?

        • Nico Weber
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 28, 2010
            > Currently the default font for MacVim is DejaVu Sans Mono which is
            > located inside the MacVim.app bundle. Initially I added this font
            > because the standard OS X monospaced font at the time (Monaco) did not
            > have very good font variations (e.g. no bold or italic). As of OS X
            > 10.6 the default font (Menlo) does include these variations so I was
            > thinking of ditching DejaVu in favor of Menlo. This has the following
            > advantages:
            >
            > + Startup is faster (about 0.5 seconds the first time MacVim starts)
            > + MacVim.app bundle becomes about 2Mb smaller
            >
            > I don't know if there are any major disadvantages (perhaps DejaVu has
            > better glyph coverage?) so I'd like to ask for some feedback before I
            > make this change. (Note that anybody who wants to keep using DejaVu
            > can simply download the font and install it on their system since the
            > font is free.)

            I'm still on 10.5 on some of my machines, and according to http://update.omnigroup.com/ so are 20-30% of people. Maybe wait a few months (until 10.7?) with this?

            Nico